Turok (2008) Retail -unstable- (solved)

Having trouble playing a game, post here

Turok (2008) Retail -unstable- (solved)

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:24 am

Okay,all.Here are the weekend testing results of getting Turok working.Besides the good news that the game starts and that most of the levels are playbable with a saved game,this game is pretty unstable,so be warned!

Crash behaviour:The first time the game crashs to desktop is when Turok gets thrown out of the ship onto the planet and looks around for his team mate *bang* there you go to continue with your desktop paper work.Another crash occurs after the ingame sequence of level 1 when the level actually starts.

I tried everything to get it working but its somehow not possible to spot the problem.It could be a problem with the missing SSE2 chip instruction sets in my system,a required 8xxx geforce card or equal fast ATI card or anything that is beyond reasonability.One thing is for sure,this game is unstable like hell!If you browse through the internet you can finds lots of hints related the same desktop crashs and strange programming behaviour.

Another issue which is currently unsolved is the blocked internet service for playing online.Neither LAN or Internet online play is possible at current.As i am not continuing with testing,this is to sum up and collect all the informations.

The good info is: You can play lots of levels when using saved games :mrgreen:

Okay,lets go....
___

Installation:
First off,there are no problems installing this game.No operating system checks or any other trouble.Attention,the game needs 18GB for installation!

MISSING DLL EXPORTS
Xinput1_3.dll - TraceMessage
ws2_32.dll
faultrep.dll
dbghelp.dll - MiniDumpWriteDump
advapi32.dll - TraceMessage
msvcr80d.dll
psapi.dll

Note:
No wrapper kernel32 needed to play the retail but it might be needed in future if the unstability is caused through missing kernel functions!

The fix for Turok:
1) install the retail game as usual
2) download X3Daudio driver: click: download Win2k X3Daudio driver
3) download Wrapper pack: click here
4) download psapi.dll: click: download psapi.dll (v5.1.2600.2180)
5) download msvcr80d.dll: msvcr80.dd (v 8.0.50727.42)
6) replace the installed faultrep.dll,ws2_32.dll and xinput1_3.dll in the Touchstones binaries game directory with the Win2k fixed libs from the X3Daudio driver
7) copy psapi.dll and msvcr80d.dll to it
8) copy advapi32.dll from the Wrapper pack to the binaries game directory together with the renamed advapi32_ORG.dll (original advapi32.dll from your system found c:\Winnt\system32 directory)
9) download dbghelp lib: click: download dbghelp.dll
10) if you like to play the saved game download it here: Turok Saves by Asmalcuga
OldBoy2k

Re: Turok (2008) Retail -unstable-

PostPosted by OldCigarette » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:29 am

I only added dbghelp.dll and advapi32.dll and the game seemed stable. I already had x3d audio installed on my system. I only played up until the t-rex shows up, but experienced no trouble in SP. I can't test MP, but I will do a couple more SP tests just to be sure it's stable.

@OldBoy2k
Maybe the game disagreed with something in your hardware, dunno. IIRC I wasn't entirely convinced the ws2_32 from the x3d audio pack was stable to use, so that might have caused trouble too.
OldCigarette

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:36 am

Can you see a login field or is it possible to host/join a lan game in multiplayer section without a crash?!
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:24 am

Edit:Okay,heres the update,seems something got messed up:

MISSING DLL EXPORTS
Xinput1_3.dll - TraceMessage
dbghelp.dll - MiniDumpWriteDump
advapi32.dll - TraceMessage

The fix for Turok:
1) install the retail game as usual (delete if present in game binaries directory: ws2_32.dll,faultrep.dll)
2) download X3Daudio driver: click: download Win2k X3Daudio driver
3) download Wrapper pack: click here
4) replace xinput1_3.dll in Touchstones binaries game directory with the Win2k fixed libs from the X3Daudio driver
5) copy advapi32.dll from the Wrapper pack to the game binaries directory together with the renamed advapi32_ORG.dll (original advapi32.dll from your system found c:\Winnt\system32 directory)
9) download dbghelp lib: click: download dbghelp.dll and copy to game binaries directory
10) if you like to play the saved game download it here: Turok Saves by Asmalcuga
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by u2konline » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:45 am

18GB :shock: are you sure?
The highest GB i ever use for a game was TDU, which i think is 7GB or 8GB. Took all night to install too lolz
u2konline

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:48 am

yep,18GB (precisely 18.2GB installation) and 15GB ready installed.Game comes on 2 dvds.

BR
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:01 pm

This game gives me the creeps - hell i can't find the reason for crashing at the landing scene where Turok and his buddy are thrown out of the crashed ship.From my investigation its not SSE2 related so it should work on my system and also my gcard is within the specs. Always the same problem.As soon as Turoks look to down to the jungle the game crashes to desktop :evil:

Rendering thread exception:
General protection fault!

History Address = 0239782b (filename not found)
Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9() Address = 0x2383a3f (filename not found)
Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9() Address = 0x2378f74 (filename not found)
Address = 0x6a3a22 (filename not found)
Address = 0x62c7c7 (filename not found)
Address = 0x62b8e5 (filename not found)

RaiseException() Address = 077e9bcbb1 (filename not found)
CxxThrowException() Address = 0x78158e69 (filename not found)
Address = 0x419c48 (filename not found)
Address = 0xe8781b4c (filename not found)

Already followed the fix found here Gamespot: What is General Protection Fault?
and installed the PhysX v8.04.25 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 stuff but still keeping crashing at the same spot.

Also,since Turok uses the UT3 tried to use the graphic setting tweak:
Another thing, if you have an older Nvidia or ATI card, perhaps one that meets the minimum system requirements, but not the recommended ones, you might try one of these options, depending on your video chipset.

Edit your UTEngine.ini

For older NVIDIA cards:
[Engine.ISVHacks]
UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True
bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True

For older ATI cards:
[Engine.ISVHacks]
DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=False

[SystemSettings]
OnlyStreamInTextures=True

but there are no such or similar options in the Turok configs.It seems to be a render problem with D3D but i just don't find a setting to disable or change the rendering level...oh well...damn...
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by DosFreak » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:09 pm

If you want to see if it's a video card/driver issue you can try to load it with SwiftShader:

http://groups.google.com/group/intel9x-gaming/files

You won't be able to play game (will be too slow) but if it doesn't display the same issue then at least you'll know.
DosFreak

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:25 pm

Heiya DosFreak,thanks,will try!

@DosFreak: Jeez this SwiftShader is a real performance killer :lol: Took i guess 10min to hear the sound of the first advertisment and no picture showed up LOL Guess my system is to slow for that flick :shock:
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by DosFreak » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Yeah, SwiftShader emulates DX8/DX9 using your processor so if your processor is slow then it'll be slow on the latest games.

Reducing resolution/all details settings and tweaking the config file that comes with the Swiftshader are all you can do.

I use it alot when I'm testing games on laptops since these Intel integrated video cards are so terrible.
DosFreak

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:36 pm

Well *sighs* i found the reason now why it keeps crashing and it does indeed suprise me....you don't need a SSE2 capable cpu for the multiplayer but its needed for the single player part (videos).Its the same problem with UT3!
OldBoy2k

Return to Troubleshooting