Info: Useful Tools

The wrapper, tools, and info you need to get games working

Info: Useful Tools

PostPosted by OldCigarette » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:21 am

Here's a list of some of the most common tools I use to get stubborn games working on Win2k.

Dependency Walker
This is probably one of the most useful tools getting newer games to work on Windows 2000. This will let you see what DLLs/exports are missing. ldd for Windows if you like.

API Monitor
This is a general purpose api spying tool that can be used to debug LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress. Usually when DLLs are loaded this way there is some compatibility being done but not always. This tool can monitor many of the other Windows API as well.

APISpy32
Another api spying program, this one can be configured to watch nearly any stdcall export.

DUMPBIN
Useful tool for examining the PE and dumping exports. Not sure if you can download this anywhere or not. Probably can get it with the Express Edition of Visual C++ or maybe the Windows SDK.

MinGW
This package contains a tool pexports that can print exports. Not sure if you can find it separate or not.

lessmsierables
This is a msi extractor for those stubborn msi files that won't extract with 'msiexec /a.' I can't seem to find a working link right now.

Orca
Another tool for working with MSI files. This one is mostly useful for editing the database that is inside MSI files and editing the LaunchCondition to get games to install.

SysInternals Utilities
A great collection of monitoring utilities. Regmon and Process Explorer are probably the ones I find myself using the most. Especially Process Explorer which shows loaded DLLs and open HANDLEs.

OllyDbg
When a game is being really stubborn it's time to pull out the big guns. You can use this tool without knowing assembly I suppose, but it's kind of hard to imagine a case for it. This is probably as good a place as any to start learning though.

HT Editor
My current favorite hex editor. Does elf, MZ, PE headers and some asm analysis. Has an assembler too! (I've tried BIEW but it usually hates any terminal I try.)
Last edited by OldCigarette on Thu May 08, 2008 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldCigarette

PostPosted by DosFreak » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:21 pm

DosFreak

PostPosted by OldCigarette » Thu May 08, 2008 2:44 am

updated link to lessmsierables

Thanks DosFreak
OldCigarette

Re: Info: Useful Tools

PostPosted by DosFreak » Sun May 24, 2009 10:56 pm

DosFreak

Re: Info: Useful Tools

PostPosted by benedict123 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:22 pm

Its really very useful list. I downloaded some of them and installed. I am very happy to work with that. They are all very effective and reliable application. You have done very well.
Nice!!!
benedict123

Return to Tools & Info