Question about a Quad Core

Talk about Windows 2000 Software here

Question about a Quad Core

PostPosted by u2konline » Wed May 06, 2009 9:54 pm

I am buying my secondary rig later this year, this one:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668233.php

Would this work well with w2k without any trouble?
u2konline

Re: Question about a Quad Core

PostPosted by OldCigarette » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:17 am

Well I know you'll only get two cores supported by win2k pro. I had a hacked the kernel for four cores a while ago, did you ever get the quad core? If so I'll try and dig the info up.
OldCigarette

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:25 am

Anyone here who likes to be the first happy Quad'former on Win2k :mrgreen: ?!
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by u2konline » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:39 pm

I am buying it later this year :)
u2konline

PostPosted by JH2k » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Nice, don't forget to report :)
JH2k

PostPosted by downwithvista » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:35 pm

Yeah, Windows 2000 Professional only supports two "processors" (Windows 2000 isn't aware of "cores", as they weren't in use when Windows 2000 was developed). Windows 2000 Server supports four processors/cores, and Advanced Server supports eight processors/cores. Windows 2000 also counts hyperthreaded "cores" as a processor, so if you were going to use an i7 with 2000, you'd need Advanced Server.
Windows XP x64 Service Pack 2/AMD Phenom II X3 720 (unlocked to an X4) @ 3.00GHz/5.5GB RAM/HD 3870
We're the exception, not the rule.
downwithvista

PostPosted by BlackWingCat » Sun May 30, 2010 11:26 am

I succeedded using Core i5-540M dual Core and HTT, XEON 3360 Quad Core on Windows 2000 Professional.

I tried to Break the Limit number of Cpu on Windows 2000(Japanese)

[url=http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/imgs/6/2/62e0ddc8.png]
Image[/url]
BlackWingCat

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun May 30, 2010 4:01 pm

Excellent.Will the registry fix for the HAL overheating problem still work for all cores?

msfn.org can a core i5 760 run on Windows 2000

Update:
Phenomic: You can use as many CPU cores as you want in win2k with

msfn: blackwingcat's 'Logical CPU Limit Break' Windows2000-KB979683-v2-x86-ENU.EXE"

Source: Why this Diehard Win2K user finally switched to WinXP

Addressing more cores under Win2k:
BlackWingCat Blog - Win2k Registry Patch

BR
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by justjohnny » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:26 pm

http://blogs.technet.com/b/labrat/archi ... 25796.aspx
Q: Can Windows 2000 take advantage of dual-core technology.

Yes and No.

This is a very common misconception. Windows 2000 *can* take advantage of both hyperthreaded *and* dual-core processors. To make a long story short, the OS is unaware of the underlying processor technology. Windows 2000 will treat a single core, hyperthreadable processor as 2 processors. Likewise, Windows 2000 will treat a dual-core processor as 2 processors. There's nothing special needed from an OS perspective to take advantage of the processors.

HOWEVER... Since Windows 2000 is "unaware" of the processor technology, the problem that comes into play is the licensing. Since many of our products are licensed based upon the number of processors, it may be limited in what it can take advantage of. For example, since Windows 2000 Server only supports four processors, you would have to upgrade to Windows 2000 Advanced Server to take advantage of a 4-way, dual core server since it will be "seen" as 8 processors.

Windows 2003 is considered "architecture aware" when it comes to dual-core processors. From a licensing standpoint, you will still only need Windows 2003 Standard Edition which has support for up to 4 processors. Even though you will have 4 dual-core processors (which will show up as 8 in the Task Manager), you'll be OK.

When it comes to licensing, Microsoft licenses based upon the number of "sockets" not the number of processors. This means, that if you have a 4-processor (single core each), you can use Windows 2003, Standard Edition. This also is true for a 4-processor (dual-core) system, even though *technically you have 8 processor cores).

Clear as mud?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... _brief.doc

Marcus
justjohnny

PostPosted by justjohnny » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:38 pm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234558
HOW TO: Add Support for Multiple Processors in Windows 2000

Windows 2000 provides support for single or multiple Central Processing Units (CPU); however, if you originally installed Windows 2000 on a computer with a single CPU, the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) on your computer must be updated for your computer to recognize and use multiple CPUs. This article describes how to add support for multiple processors in Windows 2000. In Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, you can use the Uptomp.exe tool to add support for multiple CPUs. The Uptomp.exe tool is not used in Windows 2000, instead, you can use Device Manager to make these changes. Note that before you change the computer type, contact your computer manufacturer to determine if there is a vendor-specific HAL that you should use instead of the standard HAL that is included in Windows 2000.

Installing Support for Multiple CPUs

1. Click Start, point to Settings, point to Control Panel, and then click System.
  2. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
  3. Double-click to expand the Computer branch. Note the type of support that you currently have.
  4. Double-click the computer type that is listed under the Computer branch, click the Drivers tab, click Update Driver, and then click Next.
  5. Click Display a list of known drivers for this device, and then click Show all hardware of this device class.
  6. Click the appropriate computer type (do not change from non-ACPI to ACPI computer types), click Next, and then click Finish.

The following table lists and describes each HAL.
Code: Select all
HAL                  Description
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACPI MultiProc       Use for a multiple-processor ACPI computer

ACPI UniProc         Use for a ACPI multiple-processor board but with a
                      single processor installed

Advanced             Use for a single processor motherboard with single
Configuration         processor ACPI computer
Power Interface PC   

Compaq Systempro     Use for a Compaq Systempro computer

MPS Uniprocessor PC  Use on non-ACPI computers dual processor motherboard
                      with a single processor installed

MPS Multiproc PC     Non-ACPI computers with a dual processor running

Standard PC          Any Standard PC, non-ACPI, or non-MPS. Could be a 386,
                     486, Pentium, Pentium II, or Pentium III

Standard PC
with C-Step i486

NOTE: You can use this procedure only to upgrade from a single-processor HAL to a multiple-processor HAL. If you use this procedure to change from a standard HAL to an ACPI HAL (for example, after a BIOS upgrade) or vice-versa, unexpected results may occur, including an inability to boot the computer.

For additional information how to troubleshoot Windows 2000 HAL issues, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
237556 Troubleshooting Windows 2000 Hardware Abstraction Layer Issues
justjohnny

PostPosted by justjohnny » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:31 am

Fresh install of Windows 2000 Professional onto a new machine:

Dual core:

2 CPU graphs :D:
justjohnny

PostPosted by pfranz » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi,
I have an Atom N270 processor and I couldn't find a way for making Windows 2000 see two cores.Cpuz shows only one.I've tried changing various HALs, with the only result of having a non-bootable computer.
Oldcigarette spoke about a hack for this, can you share any information on this?
Thanks in advance
pfranz

Return to Windows 2000 Software