Microsoft Apllication Verfier

Talk about Windows 2000 Software here

Microsoft Apllication Verfier

PostPosted by adun » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:09 am

Hi all
I'm new here and im very glad having found that forum. I was really sad when MS anounced that they will stop support for windows 2k that is one of my vavourite OS.
I always looking forward to get running XP apllications on 2k
The main problem is the Installer. That is mostly an .exe file that can't be modified so easly like a .msi file (orca).
No i found a programm called "Microsoft Application Verifier" that simulate to the programm that it would be on a newer system (read more there : http://blogs.x2line.com/al/archive/2009/01/19/3623.aspx)

but now Application verifier dont works on windows 2k, but its an .msi file. So I fired up Orca and move to LoundCondition and changed the entry to VersionNT >=500
then during the installation an other error appears that can be solved : lounch Orca again and move to CustomAction and delet the full first line (cut Rows) called CA_INSTALL

Now the installation finished.

When i now go to programs\Aplication Verifier to start the program:

GetSystemWow64DirectoryW was not found in the kernel32.dll

So i copied the .exe file (that was installed in the winnt\system32 directory) to the folder in c:\programs files and used the kernel32.dll from the win2k_xp_v1_6.zip (...)

then

_wcstoui64 was not found in msvcrt.dll

can someone help me?
I think it would be nice to get "Aplication Verifier" work under Win2k couse that would simplify a installation of newer programs on win 2k. And that is likely more easyer than using altiris SVS

PS: Excuse my bad english but I'm from Switzerland
adun

Re: Apllication Verfier

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:25 am

Hello Adun,

welcome to the Win2kgaming forum and thanks for asking.Which version of the Application Verifier are you using?For your quick reference, Version 2.50 is working on Win2k.

Why was your Application Verifier installed in system32?On my system its located in
Code: Select all
c:\programs\microsoft windows application compatibility toolkit\applications\appverif.exe

If you have installed a newer version that is not compatible with Windows 2000 anymore which is also located in the c:\programs folder\ you can:
a) download the latest wrapper pack found in the "Info&Tools" section of this forum
b) copy the wrapper kernel32.dll from this wrapper pack 1.08 to the appverif.exe
c) copy your system32\kernel32.dll to some TEMP folder and rename it in it to kernel32_org.dll
d) copy this kernel32_org.dll to the appverif.exe, too
e) copy the ExcludeFromKnownDlls.reg from the wrapper pack to the same directory and double click and add the keys
to the registry.
f) restart/reboot your system

So your directory should look like this:
C:\programs\microsoft windows application compatibility toolkit\applications\appVerifier\
 ====================================================================================
   appverif.chm                           
   appverif.exe                           
   pageheap.cmd                             
   pageheap.exe                             
   vsappverif.dll                         
   kernel32.dll <- from wrapper pack 1.08
   kernel32_org.dll <- renamed system32/kernel32.dll

The Wrapper then wrapps "GetSystemWow64DirectoryW" and the application should start fine.

greets
OldBoy2k

Re: Microsoft Apllication Verfier

PostPosted by adun » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:55 pm

Thanks for the quick answer.

I made all you said but in my folder thers no
pageheap.cmd
pageheap.exe

I use version 4

what do you mean with " The Wrapper then wrapps "GetSystemWow64DirectoryW"

greets
adun

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:06 pm

adun wrote:I made all you said but in my folder thers no
pageheap.cmd
pageheap.exe

I use version 4

Okay, that means it got removed from the Microsoft Application Toolkit package.Alright so don't bother about these two files then.

Question:
Was your Microsoft Application Verifier installed in the c:\program files\...\ directory i posted above or was it installed in system32 directory?

adun wrote:what do you mean with " The Wrapper then wrapps "GetSystemWow64DirectoryW"

Hi adun,

the whole Win2k wrapper idea is to "emulate" or "replace" certain WinXP system functions on Windows 2000.You need the wrapper kernel32.dll so you can start WinXP applications and games which do usually don't work on Win2k because of the missing XP kernel32.dll functions.Wrapping here means, this kernel32.dll emulates this missing functions basically.This missing kernel32.dll function on Win2k is "GetSystemWow64DirectoryW".You will find this function listed in the download section and release info:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7

To set up the wrapper, read here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195

In the upper post i forgot to write about the ExcludeFromKnownDlls.reg which needs to add keys to the windows registry.Please read through the Install Guide of the Wrapper and get familar with the basic idea.Since this wrapper is very powerful and we are dealing with important system files i recommend you to read very carefully how this wrapper works.This way nothing unpredictable will happen and we can guide you through the problems to get the application to work on your Win2k.

Btw. You have post -please check your PM Box :)
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by adun » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks again for the Answer :D

I made what you said. I copied the ExcludeFromKnowDlls.reg file to the directory and started it.

now when i start appverif.exe thers another error called: _wcstoui64 was not found in msvcrt.dll
adun

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:45 am

Hi Adun,

i just downloaded version v4.0.665 and tried to set up a fix for this release.There are two problems which i'm afraid can't be solved at the moment with the solutions we found.

With the current wrapper 1.08 the two missing kernel32.dll entries:
Missing Export:
kernel32.dll - GetSystemWow64DirectoryW,IsWow64Process

can be fixed but as you see, there's a link to msvcrt.dll:

Missing Export:
msvcrt - _wcstoui64

There's currently no msvcrt.dll to cover this leak and even after fixing it, VRFCORE.DLL has links to ntdll.dll (for instance LDRlockloaderlock).You could try to use the KDW Wrapper which can be found here:
follow here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=292
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by adun » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:46 pm

Ok so i must hope that in the future those files were integrated in the wrapper pack ;)

thanks for the help

I think i will install version 2.5 that will run on 2k

greets
adun

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:02 pm

I'm afraid i can't find any download location for Microsofts Application Verifier 3.1+ to test Win2k compatibility so at current 2.5 seems to be the latest version for Win2k.Download Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0 (ACT 3.0):

download: Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0

Quick Info
File Name:
act30pkg.exe

Download Size:
 23882 KB

Date Published:
 4/2/2003

Version:
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by adun » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:19 am

I installed now version 5.0 that runs on win 2k too. But that didn't much help. I tried to start the office 2007 setup with it but that couse a error about the windows version too like i would start the setup manual.
adun

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:49 am

The OS check is one of the biggest annoying problems we are dealing with the latest games and software of today.Sadly thats one reason why a lot of people give up with Wrapper installation because its not that easy to get familar with all the manual extraction procedures.Most of the os check are stored encrypted in the setup.inx files and there's no way to change this.

It would help to have some kind of file and registry scanner to log what the setup.exe is looking for during the installation but so far the wrapper version lie is the most sophisticated tool for this.Sometimes it works (GTA IV) sometimes it isn't (Office 2007).
OldBoy2k

Return to Windows 2000 Software