Creative Labs driver installation for Audigy 2 ZS

Windows 2000 fixes and solutions for apps

Creative Labs driver installation for Audigy 2 ZS

PostPosted by JH2k » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Well, I'm testing as a way to find if updating drivers for Creative stops my BSODs (even if the main cause is my shitty Asrock motherboard, not the audio).

The latest version of the drivers for the Audigy 2 ZS, 2.18.0011 (or as they call 2_18_0011), is possible to be installed, that's not a big deal. Indeed, the driver folder is called win2k_xp :roll: , even if they don't let the installer to run on Windows 2000. So you go to Device Manager, and install manually searching for the inf, etc, as I said, not a big deal, the system recognizes the driver as valid and is being installed. Indeed, perform all actions as if you were using an installer, registry modifications, windows start applications added, you know.

EDIT: I forgot to say that dxdiag performs a good test so, if anyone plans to install them, it's safe. At least tests are correct.

The problem may come for uninstall them.

The Creative drivers have a handy app called ctzapxx.exe, which is the real installer, but is not as flashy as the Installshield one, but.......

Yeah, you know, it doesn't run. It runs, but once you select the appropriate options, when you click OK button start the problems:

SetupUninstallOEMInfA not found in setupapi.dll ------> corrected using winxp dll but then...
CreateActCtxW not found in Kernell32 -------> fixed with the wrappers (both OldCig and KDW BlackWing) but then...
I_RpcExceptionFilter not found in RPCRT4.dll --------> which is not fixed at all :/

Beyond request a fix, that I'm not really requesting it (fix by the help of BlackWing as the file comes from your wrapper), or a recommendation as modify the installer OS check, I ask:

Is it safe to use an XP installer/uninstaller for a driver installation working with a wrapper? Won't do a mess on the system?

By the way, I started doing my own mess without make a registry backup :lol: Sometimes I'm quite scatterbrained :roll:
JH2k

Re: Creative Labs driver installation for Audigy 2 ZS

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi,

usually you can install XP drivers easily and under best safety by extracting the inf and sys driver files from the installer package.This lets you install manually most of the XP drivers which work fine.No systemfiles get replaced and the only little problem you could run into is a not working driver or not found,proper working device in your system manager :wink:

...well...sometimes you need to add Win2k-software/altered hardware specs to the inf file but theres a lot information on the web how to do this.

RPCRT4.dll:
Did you try the KDW RPCRT4.dll?

greets
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:05 pm

RPCRT4.dll:
Did you try the KDW RPCRT4.dll?

Yes, that's why I mentioned ;)

When I uninstall it, I'll tell you I have more problems. At the moment the driver is performing good. I only had two BSODs cause I tried Silverlight 3.0. Bad from me, very bad. At least with gecko browsers I got "BAD_POOL_CALLER" BSODs.

About the infs, no problem, but some look as binary/ciphered :-? No way to modify.
JH2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:32 pm

Note that RPCRT4.dll is handled as a KnownDLL.More info about how to exclude KnownDLLs can be found in the
click: Advanced Fixing Guide

Depending on the application or game it may be necessary to exclude it.Check with Dependency Walker if KDW RPCRT4.dll gets correctly recognised and hooked.

best regards
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:59 am

Ok, I'll try excluding tomorrow.
JH2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Ok, this reported:

I_NdrQueryFacilities not found on rpc2k4.dll

I don't include dwi as I'm not requesting a fix.

I started this topic to ask what I wrote in bold, the rest was curiosity :) (if I could run it)
JH2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:24 pm

Nah, here it is http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AOES0L60

Doesn't work the link right now.

(Aren't I strange XD)
JH2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:27 pm

Coming back to your question: There shouldn't be a serious problem uninstalling a XP driver with the uninstall shield because of a install backup routine that stores systemfiles.If you are afraid use some uninstaller which logs the changes made to the registry and system files and look at the replaced/added/changed files.

You can also use some tools like Ashampoo Magical UnInstall and virtualization software like Software Virtualization Solution (SVS) or Altiris Software Virtualization Solution 6 to test installations temporary.

best regards
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:11 pm

Your log looks good.

Missing Exports:
KDW rpcrt4.dll - I_NdrQueryFacilities,I_RpcForcePickleCleanup,I_RpcIsForcedPickleCleanup,
I_RpcSessionStrictContextHandle

When we are lucky, BlackWingCat will add the missing APIs in his next release.

BR
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Nice, but without rush, at least from my part.
JH2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:49 pm

An update to say that, even the Missing exports haven't been released and don't let to install the newest version of the drivers (2.18.0017), now, the guys at Creative, made a good change that you can fully uninstall the driver from the Device Manager (yay!!!) and, so, now there is no problem if the installer/uninstaller executable can't be run.

The notable difference is that when you go to Device Manager and you go to the device properties to see driver files, now you see the whole list of files related to the device and drivers to ensure that, if uninstall from there, you remove the full driver from your system.

Very good job from the Creative guys.

I don't know if this applicable to any other Creative drivers of their products, but would be good news for those who want to update their devices without problems using only the Device Manager :) with our Windows 2000 :)
JH2k

Return to Backporting Applications