Pentium 4 w/ HyperThreading w/Asrock P4VT8+ BSODs (solved)

for everything else

Re: Thanks BlackWingCat (it was: I'm going to kill you :P)

PostPosted by BlackWingCat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:57 am

OldBoy2k wrote:What kind of reg file/registry fix?

greetings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919521/en
Microsoft KB wrote: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\HAL
3. On the Edit menu, point to New , and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type 14140000FFFFFFFF, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click 14140000FFFFFFFF, and then click Modify.
6. Type 00000010 in the Value data box, click Hexadecimal, and then click OK.

Effective after reboot.
*Caution: Standby and hibernate make Cancel this effect, so I use RMClock HLT function on my note PC.
BlackWingCat

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 am

OK.Thanks.

Hmm never installed the update rollup because of various problems.Always tweaked the installer :P Anything else important to know about the update rollup v2 (some other hotfixes)?!Can we have your registry fix to share it on the site?

Important questions:
Do you know which particulary KB hotfix from the update rollup v2 is responsible for these temperature problems?Some new programs require rollup to be installed on Win2k.If we could identify and track down this problematic KB fix we could maybe uninstall it again.

kind regards
OldBoy2k

Re: Thanks BlackWingCat

PostPosted by JH2k » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:51 pm

BlackWingCat wrote:
JH2k wrote:[...]
It's wrong.
The hot fix can't resolve this problem.
It raises by SP4 Rollup.
If you want resolve CPU Heating problem, you must create reg file and apply it.
My mother board which has'nt applied the registry fix broke down just 14 monthes. :(

[...]
if BSoD cause from update.sys, Recover your system since you delete update.sys or overwrite win2000 native one.

CPU has native micro code and use it, if there is no patch.
At first CPU loaded from BIOS to NV-RAM(CPU volatile memory), if it find same cpu id micro code.
Windows loads Update.sys and overwrite CPU NV-RAM, if exists update.sys and find same cpuid.

Of course If you tell me your CPU ID, I can research it.

Blackwing, don't take me wrong: have you read any of the letters my other message was made with? Have you read the massage I pointed you of this same thread too? Have you read the full thread?

I know all you are telling me with your last reply ;) Really, maybe my words in the Photoshop thread make you think I'm really a dumb guy without any knowledge on computers and how all works. I'm not the master, but I'm not a newbie at all ;)

I know my english sucks and as I get old it gets worst, but I think I explained myself enough to be understood. I think...
Last edited by JH2k on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JH2k

PostPosted by BlackWingCat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:22 am

OldBoy2k wrote:Can we have your registry fix to share it on the site?
Important questions:
Do you know which particulary KB hotfix from the update rollup v2 is responsible for these temperature problems? Some new programs require rollup to be installed on Win2k.If we could identify and track down this problematic KB fix we could maybe uninstall it again.

Of course, Applying this registry fix is general in Japan, many individual tunes up registries include it.
and there is another way, use HLT Function in CpuIdle or RightMarkCPUID.
I use Rightmark cpu id with sexe(Executable Loader on Service)

Correctly, This Problem comes from hal.dll (halmacpi.dll).
I asked microsoft support, he replayed "Sorry, this problem has never fixed, there is no hotfix."
I have not tested and search CPU Heat problem version yet .

I think that is bad using old version because Previous version also has many problems.

SP4 5.0.2195.6691
KB823748 5.0.2195.6801
KB822624 5.0.2195.6866
KB835730 5.0.2195.6988
SRP1-v2 5.0.2195.7006
BlackWingCat

PostPosted by BlackWingCat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:41 am

JH2k wrote:Blackwing, don't take me wrong: have you read any of the letters my other message was made with? Have you read the massage I pointed you of this same thread too? Have you read the full thread?

I know all you are telling me with your last reply ;) Really, maybe my words in the Photoshop thread make you think I'm really a dumb guy without any knowledge on computers and how all works. I'm not the master, but I'm not a newbie at all ;)

I know my english sucks and as I get old it gets worst, but I think I explained myself enough to be understood. I think...

The wrong point I said is only CPU Heating problem, I thinked that you didn't say about manual registry fix but HAL hotfix 5.0.2195.7006.
Sorry, the thread fully I read is this. There are any thread I haven't read yet, cause of spent many time read in English.
Perhaps I may be able to understand with My weak English.

Fundamentally I reply to thread which I read.
If there is no my reply , I've never read it or, i have read half-way yet.
BlackWingCat

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:22 am

Understand.So what do you recommend?
a) installing update rollup 1 v2 and installing KB919521 autoinstall
b) installing update rollup 1 v2 and installing KB919521 adding/changing the registry entries manually

greets
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:41 am

OldBoy2k wrote:Understand.So what do you recommend?
a) installing update rollup 1 v2 and installing KB919521 autoinstall
b) installing update rollup 1 v2 and installing KB919521 adding/changing the registry entries manually

greets

First of all, I don't recommend install it. Only if you think you really need it, as me. As you said before, continue without trusting it.

After this, the option B.

I attach to this thread a reg file to make it easier.

List of fixes: KB900345
JH2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:34 am

Thankyou very much JH2k for creating and sharing the manual reg-fix.Actually i have to say that i'm not very satisfied with this solution since there are a lot questions not answered yet :mrgreen:

Apparently with the regular SP4+ without the update rollup 1 installation this problem did not exist/was not recognised before.So why not trying to locate the exact KB hotfixes from the update rollup 1 and getting rid of them???

BlackWingCat mentioned that the old halmacpi.dll also caused problems.So what problems did these old versions cause?Why can't we use some XP halmacpi.dll (hal.dll)???

greetings
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:00 pm

The problematic KB for heating the cpu is the one posted by BlackWingCat: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835730/ It's the only one which, indeed, modifies the HAL file from the fixes included in the rollup (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900345/). What I don't understand it's why in this KB Microsoft doesn't tell what is really made the registry change for and then in the KB919521 tells to apply it if the temperature rises without reason.

What does the old HAL and what does the new? I think the old wasn't managing CPU threads for multiprocessor (2 cores, 2 logical cores (HT)) correctly, but, unexpectedly they created a secondary problem. My theory is that this happened because they were using code from XP in the new HAL. Indeed, and this is theory from me, the Rollup is just a mess of XP files/fixes/patches for Windows 2000. Not bad, but left the OS... strange.
JH2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:08 pm

JH2k wrote:Well, looks that the combination of the Microcode update and the Rollup ended with the randomness of the BSODs and a little of the frequency of them.

Now (forgetting Kerio ones, which are one each 2 months or so), I'm having BSODs localized on HIDCLASS!HidpIrpMajorClose routine. One, two each week. But, even if the Rollup is not helping on this, as with the microcode looks that it was the only one left, looks that helps to decrease the amount of BSODs.

Testing if removing the gamepad from game devices, as even disconnected is on the Devices Manager as a HID device, stop crashes.

I'm feeling I'm near of, if not getting rid of all crashes, reduce them to the minimal expression.

I can't believe I'm from February 22nd without any BSOD. Two weeks, 14 days :-O

Finally, the last BSOD related to HidClass and after removing the gamepad driver, even if not connected, has ended with the last problem. This gives me the idea that this is another software not fully compatible with multiprocessor hardware, as Kerio Firewall 2.1.5 (because with the other Asus motherboard there were some problems too).

Now I would like to test if just with the microcode update, without the Rollup, there is any difference. But I think, at this moment, I will leave the computer stable as it is, but I don't know why, but I think, if I uninstall the Rollup, I will have full stability as the last two weeks.

Awesome, and I don't know how can I thank you, BlackWingCat, enough :)
Last edited by JH2k on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JH2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Kerio Firewall 2.1.5???Why don't you use the new version Sunbelt Kerio v4.6.1861???That works like charm.Maybe you won't have those problems like you have now with the old 2.1.5 Kerio firewall.

best regards
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:35 pm

OldBoy2k wrote:Kerio Firewall 2.1.5???Why don't you use the new version Sunbelt Kerio v4.6.1861???That works like charm.Maybe you won't have those problems like you have now with the old 2.1.5 Kerio firewall.

best regards

With Kerio may be one BSOD each month if you have "luck". That's not a problem for me. In my opinion 4.x can't beat 2.x versions. This is as why we use Win2k instead WinXP ;)
JH2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:05 pm

@JH2K
Give this thread a comprehensible and clear topic name and don't open threads with nonse topic lines like "thanks BlackWingCat" or "I'm going to kill you :P" when you talk about technical issues or i delete them next time.Also, even when meant ironically i don't like to see these "kill you" topics or similar here!Calm down and show more respect.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:34 pm

OldBoy2k wrote:@JH2K
Give this thread a comprehensible and clear topic name and don't open threads with nonse topic lines like "thanks BlackWingCat" or "I'm going to kill you :P" when you talk about technical issues or i delete them next time.Also, even when meant ironically i don't like to see these "kill you" topics or similar here!Calm down and show more respect.

I understand that for the irony of the "kill" word, but "thanks blackwingcat"? Come on, first, this is the offtopic subforum, and second, what's wrong on thanking someone something :-?

I edited my subjects, I can't do anything with the others.
JH2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:19 pm

JH2k wrote:I understand that for the irony of the "kill" word, but "thanks blackwingcat"? Come on, first, this is the offtopic subforum, and second, what's wrong on thanking someone something :-?

There's nothing wrong thanking someone, its about: "don't open threads with nonse topic lines...when you talk about technical issues."

JH2k wrote:I edited my subjects, I can't do anything with the others.

You can't edit the topic name?!Change it to something like "Asrock P4VT8+ BSODs with rollup 1" or what so ever.I don't care.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic