Pentium 4 w/ HyperThreading w/Asrock P4VT8+ BSODs (solved)

for everything else

Re: Pentium 4 w/ HyperThreading w/Asrock P4VT8+ BSODs (unsolved)

PostPosted by JH2k » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:16 pm

This is FUNNY, FUNNY, FUNNY, FUNNY.

So, I upgraded my DSL broadband connection and I wasn't able to reach my speed on speed test sites. But with other computers of the LAN those tests were showing the correct speed even this computer but under XP. Then I used the virtual PC 2004 Windows 2000 with SP4 installation and, god, the tests were showing the correct speed too!!!

What was the faulty?, YES, THE DAMN ROLLUP on the host OS. So here we have another issue with the Rollup involved to add to the known temperature issue. When people and me, here, say that the Rollup is a crap, kiddies, we are not making jokes.

So, uninstalled it.

Damn, this doesn't end here, now, as I said, I don't have BSODs (at least dispatch exceptions thanks to the BlackWinCat Update.sys microcode patch), just the firewall issue, but something else was fixed with the rollup and now I'm having afd.sys related (not the faulty but involved) BSODs, the file is the Winsock driver, so I have installed the KB958752, it's not for this kind of issue, but god, at least the afd.sys file is being updated and, at the moment, the speed has not been "damaged" again.

I'm thinking to back to the rollup if BSODs continues and apply this patch (as it is later in time) and watch what happens.

As I said, this is really funny.

Damn Asrock, damn rollup and damn Hyper Threading under P4VT8+ motherboard. These all together.
JH2k

Re: Pentium 4 w/ HyperThreading w/Asrock P4VT8+ BSODs (solve

PostPosted by JH2k » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:14 pm

My last update to this thread, even if I have new problems to avoid bother without sense (I feel it myself).

Well, after a month and a half, looks I have, again, an stable system.

I had to update the files with the KBs KB958752 and KB958687 to update afd.sys and srv.sys respectively. Why them? just because they were, almost last updated version files for those files and stand alone for them (no other file updated with the patches) to make easy isolate the problem and the fix.

From the 4th of September (since I discovered a BSOD with srv.sys) no more problems. In other words, awesome.

So the stable system for guidance for others is left as follows:

Problematic motherboard -- Asrock P4VT8+
Problematic processor -- any P4 HT enabled or disabled
OS left status -- Windows 2000 SP4 with the KBs described above (and any other one as your wish) and the microcode updates from BlackWingCat described in this thread.
JH2k

PostPosted by justjohnny » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:27 pm

http://blogs.technet.com/b/labrat/archi ... 25796.aspx
Q: Can Windows 2000 take advantage of dual-core technology.

Yes and No.

This is a very common misconception. Windows 2000 *can* take advantage of both hyperthreaded *and* dual-core processors. To make a long story short, the OS is unaware of the underlying processor technology. Windows 2000 will treat a single core, hyperthreadable processor as 2 processors. Likewise, Windows 2000 will treat a dual-core processor as 2 processors. There's nothing special needed from an OS perspective to take advantage of the processors.

HOWEVER... Since Windows 2000 is "unaware" of the processor technology, the problem that comes into play is the licensing. Since many of our products are licensed based upon the number of processors, it may be limited in what it can take advantage of. For example, since Windows 2000 Server only supports four processors, you would have to upgrade to Windows 2000 Advanced Server to take advantage of a 4-way, dual core server since it will be "seen" as 8 processors.

Windows 2003 is considered "architecture aware" when it comes to dual-core processors. From a licensing standpoint, you will still only need Windows 2003 Standard Edition which has support for up to 4 processors. Even though you will have 4 dual-core processors (which will show up as 8 in the Task Manager), you'll be OK.

When it comes to licensing, Microsoft licenses based upon the number of "sockets" not the number of processors. This means, that if you have a 4-processor (single core each), you can use Windows 2003, Standard Edition. This also is true for a 4-processor (dual-core) system, even though *technically you have 8 processor cores).

Clear as mud?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... _brief.doc

Marcus
justjohnny

PostPosted by justjohnny » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:38 pm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234558
HOW TO: Add Support for Multiple Processors in Windows 2000

Windows 2000 provides support for single or multiple Central Processing Units (CPU); however, if you originally installed Windows 2000 on a computer with a single CPU, the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) on your computer must be updated for your computer to recognize and use multiple CPUs. This article describes how to add support for multiple processors in Windows 2000. In Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, you can use the Uptomp.exe tool to add support for multiple CPUs. The Uptomp.exe tool is not used in Windows 2000, instead, you can use Device Manager to make these changes. Note that before you change the computer type, contact your computer manufacturer to determine if there is a vendor-specific HAL that you should use instead of the standard HAL that is included in Windows 2000.

Installing Support for Multiple CPUs

1. Click Start, point to Settings, point to Control Panel, and then click System.
  2. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
  3. Double-click to expand the Computer branch. Note the type of support that you currently have.
  4. Double-click the computer type that is listed under the Computer branch, click the Drivers tab, click Update Driver, and then click Next.
  5. Click Display a list of known drivers for this device, and then click Show all hardware of this device class.
  6. Click the appropriate computer type (do not change from non-ACPI to ACPI computer types), click Next, and then click Finish.

The following table lists and describes each HAL.
Code: Select all
HAL                  Description
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACPI MultiProc       Use for a multiple-processor ACPI computer

ACPI UniProc         Use for a ACPI multiple-processor board but with a
                      single processor installed

Advanced             Use for a single processor motherboard with single
Configuration         processor ACPI computer
Power Interface PC   

Compaq Systempro     Use for a Compaq Systempro computer

MPS Uniprocessor PC  Use on non-ACPI computers dual processor motherboard
                      with a single processor installed

MPS Multiproc PC     Non-ACPI computers with a dual processor running

Standard PC          Any Standard PC, non-ACPI, or non-MPS. Could be a 386,
                     486, Pentium, Pentium II, or Pentium III

Standard PC
with C-Step i486

NOTE: You can use this procedure only to upgrade from a single-processor HAL to a multiple-processor HAL. If you use this procedure to change from a standard HAL to an ACPI HAL (for example, after a BIOS upgrade) or vice-versa, unexpected results may occur, including an inability to boot the computer.

For additional information how to troubleshoot Windows 2000 HAL issues, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
237556 Troubleshooting Windows 2000 Hardware Abstraction Layer Issues
justjohnny

PostPosted by JH2k » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:40 pm

I know, english is not my language, but hadn't I explained myself?

This thread is not related to what you are talking about. It's related to an incompatibility of the Asrock motherboard and its microcode updates. BUT, ALWAYS, WITH THIS ASROCK MOTHERBOARD. I had others motherboards with the same system components, except the motherboard, of course, and I had no problems.

The system files updates explained in other reply, it's another story but, sadly, in some way, related.
JH2k

Previous

Return to Offtopic