Win2kgaming: Advanced Fix Guide

The wrapper, tools, and info you need to get games working

Win2kgaming: Advanced Fix Guide

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:52 pm

Now its time to come to the advanced fixing part.We recall: In general what we do when we initialise the Wrapper with the ExcludeFromKnownDlls.reg we exclude the following libraries from system32-root loading so we can add the Wrapper or also XP system files to the binaries directory.With excluding system libraries you can add all sorts of XP libraries to the binaries directory and now these get loaded by the application or game prior to the system root libraries.

New XP or Wrapper system files can be added to the ExcludeFromKnownDlls as follows:
1. on desktop -> press START -> choose RUN -> type regedt32 -> press ENTER
2. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
and double click "ExcludeFromKnownDlls" entry.Then add libraries underneath the following list
which need to get excluded from system32 root loading.These libraries should be listed already
when you installed the Wrapper (ExcludeFromKnownDlls.reg):

ExcludeFromKnownDlls
(ExcludeFromKnownDlls.reg default entries)
kernel32.dll
user32.dll
shell32.dll
advapi32.dll

3. when done Press OK to exit the ExcludeFromKnownDlls session list
4. close Regeditor
5. reboot system

Of course the KnownDLLs session contains a lot more libraries with privileged and priority level.The following table lists all libraries:

KnownDLLs Registry listed libraries:
(!do not change anything here!)
advapi32.dll
comdlg32.dll
gdi32.dll
imagehlp.dll
iz32.dll
kernel32.dll
ole32.dll
oleaut32.dll
olecli32.dll
olecnv32.dll
olesvr32.dll
olethk32.dll
rpcrt4.dll
shell32.dll
url.dll
urlmon.dll
user32.dll
version.dll
wininet.dll
wldap32.dll

Some important infos:
a) for example: Some applications or games require a updated XP version of shlwapi.dll.Even though this library is not listed in the KnownDLLs session list it will be loaded priority.This library needs to be added to the ExcludeFromKnownDlls list so it can be added in the binaries directory.This works the same way with some other system root priority libraries not mentioned on the KnownDLLs list (for example hid.dll).

b) always keep in mind that it is important to restart the system when making changes to the ExcludeFromKnownDlls session!

I hope this advanced fixing guide helps with finding solutions for more complex problems.

best regards
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

Re: Win2kgaming: Advanced Fix Guide

PostPosted by venvirupa » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Hello i have tried the advanced fix for Media Player 9 it got me past the bug in the first screen that says it can't find uxtheme.dll (i put it in the xpdll folder that was created by your installer) after that said it couldn't install but then i had a NtDLL.dll problem with RunUnhandledExceptionFilter um i am programming a game in OpenGL and the drivers would like Media Player running to implement the sound and stupidly i got rid of a working setup when i upgraded to media player 9 ....... I am using Bass.dll library for the sound rendering in the game using GLSound as the engine. I edited the file in the registry and put the ntDll.dll into the key mentioned now lots of programs that start up have the above message come up .... how do i roll back the system it i can't get it to work ... should i have made a wrapper for NtDll instead? not so crash hot with C but will try it if you think its a goer...

Thanks
VenVirupa
venvirupa

PostPosted by venvirupa » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Ah i was panicking um i deleted the uxtheme from the xpddls directory and all i normal again ...... downloaded the new updated bass dll and they work too they musn't rely on Media player (or at least the new version doesnt) i coulld of done with the media player/UxTheme fix but looking at dependency walker it has so many other functions reliant on it in NTDLL ......... thanks for your good product though keep up the work!!! be interested to know has anybody got Media Player working with it?

Thanks bye
Ven Virupa
venvirupa

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi venvirupa,

welcome to Win2kgaming forum and happy new year.Thanks for your question.

The problem with applications like latest MS Media Player versions is, that some systemfiles could get replaced by XP ones when removing the check launch condition or using the fake version lie XP with Wrapper kernel which in the end can sometimes cause serious system stability problems.So i recommend running software tests under Virtual PC environments (Win2k pre-installed) or other temporary installation emulation software or extracting the setup archive content to some TEMP directory and fixing the application from there.Later on it can then be copied to the program files folder with added desktop shortcuts or even auto-start entries.

The ndtll.dll link library problems can often be solved with using fcwin tool from BlackWingCats package.A short description how to handle fcwin can be found here: BlackWingCats KDW Wrapper/fcwin guide

Some safety notes for fixing applications:
1) never fix,add or change anything to WinNT System32 root directory
2) always copy necessary Wrapper or XP files to the binaries directory and trying to fix the application there
3) extracting setup content with extractor tools like "UniExtract" to some TEMP test directory containing the main application and fixing the application there

Uxtheme.dll:
Do recommend using and trying KDW Uxtheme.dll first since that covers most important and requested functions of applications.Note: You don't need to rename the library or add any other Uxtheme.dll XP library to it.Just copy KDW Uxtheme.dll to the binaries directory.Thats it.

Windows Media Player 10:
BlackWingCat released a Windows 2000 WMP10 version at:
msfn.org forum

best regards
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:55 am

Added a KnownDlls Wrapper Installer (kdllinst.exe) - Dynamic Install guide which serves the same purpose like excluding libraries from the ExcludeFromKnownDlls session list.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:23 pm

Fixing IMAGEHLP.DLL:

Missing Exports:
IMAGEHLP.DLL - SymFromAddr,SymFindFileInPath
Dbghelp.dll - FindFileInPath,SymEnumSourceFiles,SymEnumSym,SymEnumSymbols,SymEnumTypes,
SymFindFileInPath,SymFromAddr,SymFromName,SymGetTypeFromName,SymGetTypeInfo,SymMatchString,SymSetContext (IMAGEHLP.DLL)

Fix:
1) download dbghelp.dll from here:
download: dbghelp.dll
and copy it to the binaries directory.
2) download Imagehlp.dll v5.1.2600.2180 and copy it to the binaries directory.
3) download the Registry fix to exclude Imagehlp.dll from KnownDLLs and follow the README instructions:
Regsitry-Fix: ExcludeImagehlpFromKnownDlls
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Fixing IPHLPAPI.dll:

Missing Exports:
IPHLPAPI.dll - GetAdaptersAddresses,IcmpCloseHandle,IcmpCreateFile,IcmpSendEcho,IcmpParseReplies,
GetBestInterfaceEx,
WS2_32.dll - freeaddrinfo,getaddrinfo (IPHLPAPI.dll)

Fix:
1) download iphlpapi.dll v5.1.2600.2180 from here
and copy to the binaries directory.
2) for WS2_32.dll you will need the wrapper pack:
click here to download Wrapper pack
copy together with the renamed Win2k system WS2_32_ORG.dll to the binaries directory.
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:19 am

Fixing Microsoft Visual Studio 10 libraries:

a) download the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
(or if required libraries from a later Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update (VS10SP1-KB2565057-x86.exe))

b) extract it and extract 'vc_red.cab' and rename the following libraries:
F_CENTRAL_msvcp100_x86 -> msvcp100.dll
F_CENTRAL_msvcr100_x86 -> msvcr100.dll
F_CENTRAL_vcomp100_x86 -> vcomp100.dll
F_CENTRAL_mfc100u_x86 -> mfc100u.dll
F_CENTRAL_mfc100_x86 -> mfc100.dll
(v10.0.40219.1)

Part.I mfc100.dll, msvcr100.dll
Missing Exports:
(mfc100.dll)
MSVCR100.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL - ActivateActCtx,CreateActCtxW,DeactivateActCtx,ReleaseActCtx,DecodePointer,EncodePointer

Missing Exports:
(msvcr100.dll)
KERNEL32.DLL - InitializeSListHead,InterlockedFlushSList,InterlockedPopEntrySList,InterlockedPushEntrySList
QueryDepthSList,EncodePointer,DecodePointer

Fix:
1) copy mfc100.dll to the binaries directory.
2) copy msvcr100.dll to the binaries directory.
3) for Kernel32.dll you will need the wrapper pack:
copy together with the renamed Win2k system Kernel32_ORG.dll to the binaries directory.

Part.II msvcr100d.dll
Missing Exports:
KERNEL32.DLL - InitializeSListHead,InterlockedFlushSList,InterlockedPopEntrySList,InterlockedPushEntrySList

Fix:
1) download msvcr100d.dll
copy to the binaries directory.
2) for Kernel32.dll you will need the wrapper pack:
copy together with the renamed Win2k system Kernel32_ORG.dll to the binaries directory.

Part.III msvcp100.dll,msvcr100.dll
Missing Exports:
(msvcp100.dll)
MSVCR100.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL - EncodePointer,DecodePointer

Missing Exports:
(msvcr100.dll)

Fix:
1) copy msvcp100.dll to the binaries directory.

Part.IV msvcr100.dll
Missing Exports:

Fix:
1) copy msvcr100.dll to the binaries directory.
2) for Kernel32.dll you will need the wrapper pack:

Part.V mfc100u.dll,msvcr100.dll
Missing Exports:
(mfc100u.dll)
MSVCR100.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL - ActivateActCtx,CreateActCtxW,DeactivateActCtx,ReleaseActCtx,DecodePointer,EncodePointer

Missing Exports:
(msvcr100.dll)

Fix:
1) copy mfc100u.dll to the binaries directory.

Part.VI vcomp100.dll
Missing Exports:
none

Fix:
1) copy vcomp100.dll to the binaries directory.
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Fixing Shlwapi.dll:

Missing Exports:
SHLWAPI.dll - SHRegGetValueW,SHRegGetValueA

From the experience its recommended to make a registry backup when excluding Shlwapi.dll from knowndll session list and to use BlackWingCats KDW SHLWAPI.DLL.To backup the registry either export registry in 'regedit' (start>run>regedit),use some uninstaller software or the tool Erunt The Emergency Recovery Utility NT: Erunt v1.1j.

To fix the SHLWAPI.DLL export you need to exclude Shlwapi.dll from KnownDLL session list and reboot the system.Then copy KDW SHLWAPI.dll together with the system SHLWA2K.DLL to the binaries directory.
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:09 am

Fixing DNSAPI.DLL:

Missing Exports:
DNSAPI.DLL - DnsFree

Fix:
1) for DNSAPI.DLL you will need the KDW wrapper:
click here for the KDW homepage
rename KDW dnsxpi.dll to DNSAPI.DLL and copy it to the binaries directory.
OldBoy2k

Return to Tools & Info