Flotilla

Having trouble playing a game, post here

Flotilla

PostPosted by Arkan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:48 pm

http://www.blendogames.com/flotilla/
Chicken space pirates, psychic dog advisors, and rhino bounty hunters. Just another adventure in Flotilla! Fight, trade, and explore to make a name for yourself in the galaxy.

Flotilla is a space/strategy/adventure hybrid indie game.

The official website claims it's Win2K compatible but neither the demo nor the full version seems to run on my computer.
Both crash at launch with an infamous error report message (like this one ). Details of the report mentions a kernel32.dll error without much information.

Game requires Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 3.1, .NET Framework 2.0 and DirectX 9.0c. None of these should pose any problems on Win2K.

I tried tweaking around but I can't seem to obtain a working fix. So I'm submitting the problem to you guys.

I did a Dependency Walker scan with a full profile. The game seems to be encountering problems with APPHELP.DLL, MSCORPE.DLL, MSCORSEC.DLL, MSDIS150.DLL, MSPDB80.DLL and X3DAUDIO1_6.DLL but none of theses seem to be the main factor in the crash.
Demo is available for download on the website if you want to run the DW scan yourself.
Arkan

Re: Flotilla

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi,

i'm quite certain the author didn't test the game on Windows 2000 since the game requires Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 3.1.MSPDB80.DLL belongs to Visual Studio 2005.Did you install Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1?

Source:
DLL is working on one of my computer, and on the other not working
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by Arkan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:17 pm

I was thinking the same thing about the alleged testing on Win2K.

I didn't install Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1, but normally it shouldn't be required. I think it's the developper-side program program and library.
I do have Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 3.1 installed.

I tried using MSPDB80.DLL placing it in the main game directory. That seems to make the missing dependency in DW dissapear but the game still refuses to launch with the same error message.
To be honest I think thoses MSCORPE.DLL, MSCORSEC.DLL, MSDIS150.DLL, MSPDB80.DLL and X3DAUDIO1_6.DLL errors are just compilation errors from the programmer and not the main problem since the error message mentions kernel32.dll

Maybe I will try uninstalling and reinstalling the .NET framework like mentionned in your link since MSCORPE.dll and MSCORSEC.dll seems to be part of that. But I'm not sure it will fix anything.
Arkan

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:31 am

When you're going to install MXNAF again: In general you need to check all installed Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 3.1 libraries with Dependency Walker separately.You won't see all problems listed on the upper library level.

BR
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by Arkan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm

No progress so far. Still stuck at the same point.
Arkan

Return to Troubleshooting