Gears of War Retail (solved)

PostPosted by DosFreak » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:20 am

Windows 2000 to Windows XP Wrapper v1.4 Installation

Create C:\XP_DLLS folder.

Copy wtsapi32.dll to c:\XP_DLLS\wtsapi32_org.dll
copy ws2_32.dll to c:\xp_dlls\ws2_32_org.dll
Copy kernel32.dll to c:\xp_dlls\kernel32_org.dll
copy user32.dll to c:\xp_dlls\user32_org.dll

Right-click on "My Computer", choose properties, Go to "Advanced", Click on "Environment Variables", Go down to "Path", add ";C:\XP_DLLS".
Run 'ExcludeFromKnowndlls.reg"

GEARS OF WAR DVD (DOES NOT WORK)

FILES NEEDED
faultrep.dll (from the X3DAudio Package on gamecopyworld.com)
xinput1_3.dll (from the X3DAudio package on gamecopyworld.com)
iphlpapi.dll (from Windows XP CD)
XLiveRedist1.2.0238.msi (Windows Live Redist Download from Microsoft)

copy faultrep.dll, iphlpapi.dll and xinput1_3.dll to the Gears of War Binaries directory.

Edit XLiveRedist1.2.0238.msi with Orca. Remove the LaunchCondition Value and install.

1. Copy DVD to hard drive.
2. Install Orca.
3. Remove Read-Only from "Gears of War.msi"
4. Edit "Gears of War.msi". Remove LaunchCondition Value
5. Install the game.
6. Install Gears of War Update 2 and NOCD patch.

Copy wtsapi32.dll, ws2_32.dll, and kernel32.dll to the Gears of War "Binaries" directory.

On execution of Gears of War I receive the following error message:

"The procedure entry point CredFree could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll"

I tried advapi32.dll from the wrapper but it does not have this function so I received the above error message as well.
DosFreak

PostPosted by OldCigarette » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:23 am

I've added a bunch of Credential APIs from wine that use the registry so that should take care of advapi32.dll.

GetAdaptersAddresses is still missing from IPHLPAPI.DLL though. The XP one won't work though, because of some missing ntdll functions. It could probably be wrapped, though it's relatively complex. I'll have to think about this one.
OldCigarette

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:25 am

Ohhh gosh,i remember getting this nasty game to work with OldCigarette :roll: The problem seems to be the Windows live beeing crosslinkend and connected to all sorts of XP dlls :( .

Heee as some parties here think about UT3 beeing evil-wrapping :lol: i think Gears of War is similar :lol:
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by Demian » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:17 pm

OldCigarette wrote:GetAdaptersAddresses is still missing from IPHLPAPI.DLL though. The XP one won't work though, because of some missing ntdll functions. It could probably be wrapped, though it's relatively complex. I'll have to think about this one.

Lastly i was trying to install and play AoE III, Warchief and Asian.
After some search, i found how to bypass the installer check (just make /a option).
Installed the wrapper, and AoE III work fine, but not Warchief and Asian (GetAdaptersAddresse error), so i come back here and find that post.
Despite what i read i downloaded the dll
http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/dll_iphlpapi.phtml

And dropped it in AoE folder. Now warchief and Asian work fine also.
So The XP DLL work for at least one game.

P.S.
I used the iphlpapi.dll version 5.1.2600.2 (XP SP1) but seem the XP SP2 (5.1.2600.2180) work also at least for AoE.
Demian

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Demian wrote:...i found how to bypass the installer check (just make /a option).

ehm can you post the full install term,please?I'm confused....

thanks
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldCigarette » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:43 pm

Demian thanks for the info about iphlpapi.dll, I must have been using a different version or something. This is good news, much easier fix than anything I had planned ;)
OldCigarette

PostPosted by Demian » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:51 pm

OldBoy2k wrote:
Demian wrote:...i found how to bypass the installer check (just make /a option).

ehm can you post the full install term,please?I'm confused....

thanks

It's just something i found on the net :
in command prompt launch : "setup.exe /a" that make something like "network installation"

That don't really make a game install but make a "repository" folder for the game (the folder is exactly the same as you had installed the game, but no shortcuts etc ...)
After that you have a nice folder "Age of Empire III".
You can launch game by just clicking "age3.exe" or age3x.exe (warchief) or age3y.exe (Asian).
Of course after that you need to use the wrapper from OldCig, and in final to change also the iphlpapi.dll.
Demian

Re: Gears of War Retail

PostPosted by mk-1601 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Did anyone get this game to work successfully in the end?

There seem to be more and more GFW Live games coming out, and it would be good to know if there was a single solution to get them running.
mk-1601

Re: Gears of War Retail

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:26 pm

mk-1601 wrote:Did anyone get this game to work successfully in the end?

There seem to be more and more GFW Live games coming out, and it would be good to know if there was a single solution to get them running.

Got the game from a friend and tested it tonight.The fix works now until the SSE2 crash.Someone needs to verify and test it on a SSE2 chipset past this crash Backporting Fix: Gears of War Retail *
OldBoy2k

Return to Troubleshooting