Bully/ Canis canem Edit : Scholarship Edition (Solved)

Having trouble playing a game, post here

Bully/ Canis canem Edit : Scholarship Edition (Solved)

PostPosted by Arkan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm trying to install the PC version of the Rockstar game Bully PC version and I can't find a way around the stupid OS restriction launch condition.

The setup.exe refuses to complete the installation because of the OS check restriction and when I'm using Fcwin from KDW tools to work around this restriction the installation fails to launch anyway with an error message "1628 : Failed to complete installation".
Last edited by Arkan on Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkan

Re: Bully/ Canis canem Edit : Scholarship Edition

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi,

are there any installer archive files copied to the temporary folders during the installation?Which unpackers did you tried already?I'm currently trying to figure out how these systemfile versioninfo checks of some installers work, but did not succeed so far.

I need some more infos:
- setup.exe with some (CAB or MSI) install archives or just a single setup.exe?
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by Arkan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:41 am

are there any installer archive files copied to the temporary folders during the installation ?
No installer archives copied since the installation doesn't really start but only ini files for the different languages and a setup.ini file.

Which unpackers did you tried already
I did'nt try any unpacker. Game files are in three different .cab files with some of them language specific. Seems way too complicated.

setup.exe with some (CAB or MSI) install archives or just a single setup.exe?
There is a MSI file, but it can't be launched directly "This installation cannot be run directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe" I tried using the Remove OS version script on the MSI file but the setup.exe is still doing a version check of his own. I tried using Fcwin on both the MSI file and the setup.exe with no sucess.
Arkan

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi Arkan,

can you create and upload a profiled DWI log from the setup.exe?That would be helpful.I'm in a meeting with OldCigarette later this evening and we will also discuss improved LCC (launch condition check) faking techniques and issues.
Thankyou.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by Arkan » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Here you are,but I don't think it contains anything helpful.
I think the installation and the game will work fine, once we skip the OS version check part.

About the DWI file : The missing MZVKBD3.DLL is related to my Kaspersky AV and should not be considered.

*file removed*
Last edited by Arkan on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkan

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:01 pm

"An error occured while reading C:\Setup.dwi".Data is not allowed (13)".Can you check and fix that?

We found out that installing net 3.5 helps installing some launch condition implemented software!Please try that.Use BlackWingCats installer to install net 3.5 and maybe this helps to install the game.At least it is worth a try.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by Arkan » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:11 pm

I reupload the file and checked it. It should work now.

Will try your propostion.
Arkan

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:23 am

Hi,

i learned something new about KDW Ez install and using the Kernel2k.tbl for improved XP emulation but have to test it first on some simple program.Its promising.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Good news!The Kdllinst emulation works for Stardocks Impulse Client and Demigod Demo.You could try the same emulation address *XPS2-58 for this game but it's not expected to be working since its not the same setup.But maybe we are lucky and it works :wink:

Follow my guide here KnownDlls Wrapper Installer (kdllinst.exe) - XP Version Emulation:

Good luck!

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:24 pm

Bully Scholarship Edition (Installation)
...its InstallShield but which version?!Whats the size of the setup.exe and msi?Can you upload the setup.exe with the msi and setup.ini and PM me the download link?You only need to check if the setup works standalone until the LCC notification.

Btw. did you already check the setup.exe with PETools about the MajorSubsystem?

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:26 am

Checked the v1.2 patch executable:

Missing Exports:
Xinput1_3.dll

BR
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by Arkan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:23 pm

I'm uploading the files on my ftp. Will PM your the link. It's a bit slow so don't worry.

In the meantime I will try PEtools, but since I can't rewrite the setup.exe on the DVD I will have to copy the whole DVD on my hard drive. Will see how it goes.
Arkan

PostPosted by Arkan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:46 pm

YAY it works, it finally works. I was able to install the game and launch it without problems.

I managed to bypass the OS restriction from the setup.exe but I was still stuck with the installer not launching with this error message. It's probably linked to the version of the Windows Installer, I think it requires Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable to work. Anyway since I was stuck with the setup.exe I decided to try again to use the MSI file which normally refuses to launch unless it's called by the setup.exe. I used the Remove OS Version Check Script on it and it worked this time. What's strange is that I already did this once with no effect, probably because I forgot to remove the Read Only property after copying it from the DVD.

So after that the MSI file launches and proceeds to install the game, they are however two small problems :
- You can't select the installation path, it will be installed in "C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Bully Scholarship Edition" by default.
-You can't select the language. It will be in english.

But apart from that it works.

Now I'm going to try install the patch 1.2 and see if there is any problem.
Arkan

PostPosted by Arkan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Ok I think everthing is working. I was able to install patch 1.2. Of course the patch doesn't work under Win2k but I found a workaround.
Launch the patch and stop at the EULA without accepting it.
Search in the TEMP folder and find a folder containing Bully Scholarship Edition Patch 1.msp.
Launch it.
The patch will be installed in the default "C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Bully Scholarship Edition".

You can then move the whole game folder where you want and launch it using Bully.exe .
Arkan

Next

Return to Troubleshooting