Stardock Impulse Client (beta)

Windows 2000 fixes and solutions for apps

Stardock Impulse Client (beta)

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 pm

Update: The XP Version Emulation still works with Impulse Client v3.30.0.0

I'll explain now how to install the Stardock Impulse Client which has a strong launch condition check.

1. Download: Stardock Impulse Client
Info: There are two versions availible.The small Client package impulse_setup.exe ~7mb and the full package impulse_setup_full.exe ~32mb.We'll be doing the small installation here.
2. extract the impulse_setup.exe with UniExtract (Universal Extract) to some TEMP folder.
3. look here: KnownDlls Wrapper Installer (kdllinst.exe) - XP Version Emulation how to set up and prepare the installation and enter XP emulation address: *XPS2-58 to the Kernel2k.tbl
5. install the Impulse Client by running impulse_setup.exe.

Missing Exports:
c:\Program Files\Stardock\Impulse\Now\
DBGHELP.DLL - MiniDumpWriteDump (because of ImpulseReactor.dll)

c:\Program Files\Stardock\Impulse\
KERNEL32.DLL - GetModuleHandleExW (because of DeElevator.dll)
USER32.DLL - PrintWindow (because of wbocx32.ocx)
UXTHEME.DLL

Fix:
1) required for the Impulse.exe Client you need KDW Kernel32.dll,User32.dll and Uxtheme.dll:
click here for the KDW homepage and add it
together with the renamed Win2k system Kernel2k.dll,User2k.dll and Uxtheme.dll to the binaries directory
Code: Select all
c:\Program Files\Stardock\Impulse\

2) required for the Impulsenow.exe you need to download dbghelp.dll from here:
download: dbghelp.dll
and copy it to the sub-binaries directory
Code: Select all
c:\Program Files\Stardock\Impulse\Now\

Note: The main application is fixed and working but crashes when entering FAQ or Help.

Uninstallation notes:
Uninstallation through the software environment does not work because of the launch condition check.Either use some third party software Uninstaller or look in the C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/ for the impulse setup folder containing the impulse_setup.exe and repeat the above Kdllinst - procedure and run the impulse_setup.exe to finaly uninstall the application ^^.
OldBoy2k

Stardock Impulse Client 3.30.0

PostPosted by RedAdder » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm trying to run Stardock Impulse Client 3.30.0, i already unpacked it and added some dlls, and at this time it appears to me only ole32 isn't working (dependency walker tells me ole32.dll contains an invalid path).

I don't quite get what kdllinst.exe actually does, and when I start it it tells me "detected broken backup - restore?".

At this time, I am actually more sympathetic to the method that the wrapper pack uses, since I at least understand the basics of it, and apart from the limited risk of ExcludeFromKnownDLLs it appears to me I cannot break my system with it.

Would it be possible to add an ExcludeFromKnownDLLs.reg generator to the wrapper pack so i can add ole32.dll there, or would that be too dangerous? Or is a generator unnecessary, since the ExcludeFromKnownDLLs can be edited manually (It appears to be null-terminated ascii).
RedAdder

Re: Stardock Impulse Client (beta)

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi,

just add ole32.dll to the session manager list (ExcludeFromKnownDlls/same location where KDW excludes the libraries!) as described here: Win2kgaming: Advanced Fix Guide

Pls upload a dwi so that i can take a look.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by RedAdder » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:11 pm

This is the original:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-426 ... up.7z.html

This is with some DLLs dropped in, it appears OLEAUT32.DLL still loads the OLE32.DLL from the system directory.
http://www.file-upload.net/download-426 ... x.dwi.html
RedAdder

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi,

please let us start from the beginning.Delete all unnecessary files you added and let us go through my description step by step.We have to use the KDW xp version emulation to bypass the system check.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by RedAdder » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Why can't we use the kernel32.dll win2k wrapper pack 1_10 for version emulation?

It appears to work ..

I like to understand stuff, not follow directions ..

I'll try to follow directions now.

I entered
*XPS2-0059420B
However, I'm unsure whether the instructions really tell me to use
*XPS2-00590000
because they talk about the two bytes only.

Also, kdllinst.exe tells me about some broken backup and wants me to restore, whatever that means.
I'm not going to let it do anything under these circumstances ..
RedAdder

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:02 pm

I'm not sure what you are doing but if you don't follow instructions, i'm not able to follow and help you out of it.Anyway,your Kernel2k.tbl should have the following entries:

[OtherOption]
uxtheme=1
[XPEmuAddress]
;NTS6/NT4.0SP6
;NTS6/NT4.0SP6
;XPS0/XPSP0
;XPS2/XPSP1
;23S1/2003SP1
;VTS1/VistaSP1
;W7S1/Win7SP1
;*2KS4-0070 ;shlwapi.dll type1
;*2KS4-0071 ;shlwapi.dll type2
*2KS4-007728 ;shlwapi.dll type3
*2KS4-007729 ;shlwapi.dll type3-A
*XPS2-58 <- entered emulation address!
;Samples
;2KS4-007D ;msi.dll
;XPS3-00fe
;XPS2-005D3315
;VTS1-00472234
;23S3-00402211

In this case for the Impulse Setup the emulation address is two bytes long.But XXXX generally stands for a longer emulation address.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by RedAdder » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:12 am

I didn't really do anything with kdllinst.exe

Using Process Monitor on it leads me to believe that it notices that ExcludeFromKnownDLLs is already set, and this must lead to the warning about the broken backup, since there probably is no backup since I didn't use it yet. On the other hand, I don't see it opening anything that might be a backup either.

I find the wording of the kdw tool here not very informative, it doesn't tell what it will do. "Restore something" could mean all kinds of things..
RedAdder

Return to Backporting Applications