Windows 2000 Update Rollup 1 issues

Talk about Windows 2000 Software here

Re: Windows 2000 Update Rollup 1 issues

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:34 am

Thankyou very much JH2k for creating and sharing the manual reg-fix.Actually i have to say that i'm not very satisfied with this solution since there are a lot questions not answered yet :mrgreen:

Apparently with the regular SP4+ without the update rollup 1 installation this problem did not exist/was not recognised before.So why not trying to locate the exact KB hotfixes from the update rollup 1 and getting rid of them???

BlackWingCat mentioned that the old halmacpi.dll also caused problems.So what problems did these old versions cause?Why can't we use some XP halmacpi.dll (hal.dll)???

greetings
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:00 pm

The problematic KB for heating the cpu is the one posted by BlackWingCat: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835730/ It's the only one which, indeed, modifies the HAL file from the fixes included in the rollup (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900345/). What I don't understand it's why in this KB Microsoft doesn't tell what is really made the registry change for and then in the KB919521 tells to apply it if the temperature rises without reason.

What does the old HAL and what does the new? I think the old wasn't managing CPU threads for multiprocessor (2 cores, 2 logical cores (HT)) correctly, but, unexpectedly they created a secondary problem. My theory is that this happened because they were using code from XP in the new HAL. Indeed, and this is theory from me, the Rollup is just a mess of XP files/fixes/patches for Windows 2000. Not bad, but left the OS... strange.
JH2k

PostPosted by BlackWingCat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:12 am

OldBoy2k wrote:BlackWingCat mentioned that the old halmacpi.dll also caused problems.So what problems did these old versions cause?Why can't we use some XP halmacpi.dll (hal.dll)???

greetings

I think this problem cause of exist multiple processors power management features.

Microsoft fixed this problem for XP and 2003 only.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256/
XP's hal.dll is divided KDCOM.dll and it is different from 2000's hal.dll .
BlackWingCat

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:18 pm

Okay, i see.What about Windows 2000 Server/Windows 2003 Server versions?

BR
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:36 pm

KB 835730 basically mentioned a symptom that a Win2k system using HyperThreading Technology (no mention specifically of multiprocessors) may experience the computer not correctly entering the C3 power-saving state when idle.
(Source)

NTKRPAMP and NTKRNLMP are for the multiprocessor HAL's and P4 HT. Unlike XP/2k3, W2k sees a HT CPU as two CPU's if HT is enabled. The NTKRNLPA and NTOSKRNL are for singleprocessor HAL's. (These files are not the HAL's - but they implement some OS functionality which depends on the HAL). The NTKRPAMP and NTKRNLPA are for ACPI HAL's, and the NTKRNLMP and NTOSKRNL are for non-ACPI HAL's. To complicate things a bit further, the installed SYSTEM32\NTKRNLPA.EXE is a copy of either NTKRPAMP (multiprocessor acpi) or NTKRNLPA (uniprocessor acpi), and the installed SYSTEM32\NTOSKRNL.EXE is a copy of either NTKRNLMP (multiprocessor non-acpi) or NTOSKRNL (uniprocessor non-acpi).
(Source)

Well,when HT is the reason for the HALT problem on Intel CPUs, why does this also effect AMD Dual Core CPUs with no HT at all?

Edit:
The problem is related Cool&Quiet in AMD Dual Core CPUs.For AMD CPUs it seems to be the best solution to install the AMD processor driver for C'n'Q and the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer which is believed to serve the same job like the registry entry from the rollup 1 hotfix or boot ini /usepmtimer setting.Only problem is to get the Dual-Core Optimizer working on Windows 2000 since all versions i tested require XP and have some minor missing exports.Anyhow,its important to first install the CPU chipset driver and then the Dual-Core Optimizer.

It seems like that the AMD CPU driver "AMD Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64)" does the same job like the "AMD Cool'n'Quiet Software for Windows ME and Windows 2000, Version 1.0.8.1".

Also,will the XP KB896256 hotfix provide any important information?

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:05 pm

AMD Cool'n'Quiet Software for Windows ME and Windows 2000, Version 1.0.8.1:
download: AMD Cool'n'Quiet Software for Windows ME and Windows 2000, Version 1.0.8.1
1) install the driver, reboot system

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer v1.1.4 (Fixed the executable but did not install the software)
Even though the latest version of AMD DC Optimizer and also former versions are not supported by Windows 2000,it should be possible to get the software working on Win2k, since there's only one executable installed in seperate program files folder:
Code: Select all
C:\Program Files\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe

Missing Exports:
POWRPROF.DLL - WriteProcessorPwrScheme
WTSAPI32.DLL - WTSRegisterSessionNotification,WTSUnRegisterSessionNotification

Fix:
1) download: AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version v1.1.4
2) remove launch condition of MSI and install the driver (AMD Dual-Core+ processor required)
3) download powrprof.dll v6.00.2900.2180
and copy it to the binaries directory.
4) for WTSAPI32.dll you will need the wrapper pack (or KDW wrapper):
click here to download Wrapper pack
and add it together with the renamed Win2k system WTSAPI32_ORG.dll to the binaries directory.

Would be great to get some feedback if this fix works and if the M$ hotfix isn't needed anymore for the AMD Dual-Core problem after applying update rollup 1.Theoretically it should be fine with IDLE temperatures now which are fixed with the hotfixes...
see: KB835730
or
see: KB919521

Maybe the boot ini entry needs to be altered with installed AMD DC Optimizer but that needs to be tested.

@BlackWingCat: Can you release a standalone Win2k version of the AMD DC Optimizer?!

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:17 pm

I think you are mixing things.

One thing is the bug MS left in the rollup and other the AMD application, that doesn't improve or fixes this problem, which is caused by the rollup, not the CPU drivers.
JH2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:02 pm

No.The HAL problem also exist before SP3 on Windows XP and was patched in Windows XP SP3.Its in principle the same issue on Windows 2000.The boot ini entry for the /usepmtimer are used to fix the TSC problems as well as the changed registry HAL value.This AMD DC Optimizer modifies the power manager to correctly handle processor ACPI C-state.

In principle it should work after installing update rollup 1 to install the PnQ and DC Optimizer to handle all HAL(T) related issues.This of course is only a solution for AMD Dual-Cores since this software is AMD specific.Dunno if the software works also with latest AMD quad cores.One possible solution for Intel processors would be to disable HT nut maybe there's a similar Intel chipset software to guard the performance.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:38 am

Hi :),

good news for all AMD users.BlackWingCat looked at the AMD XP Processor Driver and released a Windows 2000 version: visit: blog.livedoor.jp to download AMD Win2k Processor Driver

Supported AMD CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
AMD Opteron Processor xxx
AMD Opteron Processor 1xx
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
AuthenticAMD x86 Family 15 Model 47

from the readme:
General Description

This package contains release Version 1.3.2.0 of the processor driver, amdk8.sys, with Microsoft® digital signature, and release Version 1.0.0.0 of the AMD Processor Power Management Driver.

AMD PowerNow!™ and Cool’n’Quiet™ technologies allow the system to dynamically and automatically select the processor speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need.

The processor driver is compatible with the AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64, Mobile AMD Athlon 64, Mobile Sempronâ„¢, Sempronâ„¢, AMD Turionâ„¢ Mobile Technology, AMD Phenomâ„¢ and all Opteronâ„¢ processors including Quad-Core.

This software will not run on a system that does not support the AMD PowerNow! or Cool’n’Quiet technologies via specific features of the motherboard and BIOS.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

Previous

Return to Windows 2000 Software