Windows 2000 Update Rollup 1 issues

Talk about Windows 2000 Software here

Windows 2000 Update Rollup 1 issues

PostPosted by JH2k » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:23 pm

If you tell that referring to the Audigy's topic, I thought it too few days after install it that I could do that. They don't bring problems with Dependency walker.

Yes, it's a nice tip :idea: for everyone with every software :)

But to tell the history in a short way, my problems are not extrictly related to drivers.

The problem comes in a strange way. If you install a non-HT (Hyper Threading) processor on this motherboard (Asrock P4VT8+), then zero problems. If you put an HT again, random BSODs. Those HT processors (I have 2, obtained in my path to "fix" my problem), with other motherboards/systems, don't bring problems. But my old, second hand, motherboard (ASUS P4C800) which fixed the issue died.

The BSODs had, mainly, two common things from the minidumps:
1) DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: INTEL_CPU_MICROCODE_ZERO <------ there is where it comes the idea of the microcode update that I never was able to do, until today (let's see the upcoming days) along with some of the "BUCKET ID"s.

2) the last call of the STACK TEXT and, sometimes, the BUCKET ID that is nt!KiDispatchException+0x30e related to the IRQL 2 level (dispatch) and how the multi-processors manage threads.

And, all of this, in... over 5 five years. Of course not ever, because, before this, I decided several times to use my non-HT processor and I lived with that, but it is a 2.4Ghz and this one is 3.2Ghz... As a side note, all Northwood... but the non-HT didn't bring problems.

I hope you could understand all. My english sucks as the time passes.
JH2k

Re: Windows 2000 Update Rollup 1 issues

PostPosted by JH2k » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:18 pm

I hope I don't bother with my problems ;)

Well, I was continuing with testings, now applying the Rollup hotfix and all started to look nice, 3 and a half days without hangs and without rebooting... Incredible... Two BSODs in 10 days, and one of them of a known friend (Kerio 2.1.5 sometimes gets dumb with multiprocessors), yay!.

But... suddenly, I decided to install "Dead Space" yesterday, I uninstalled because I found I didn't like at all and I don't know what the hell came with this game, what messed up in the system but I started to have weird things such as the keyboard not responding as it should :S

Damn! I didn't have a registry backup before install it and with the Rollup :roll: . So I had to uninstall the Rollup before restore System registry portion to avoid more mess and it didn't fix. The affected portion of the registry config was in ntuser.dat (I should check that in other users all was working fine first). Anyway, I had to go back ten days in registry configs on ntuser.dat and System, apply again the Rollup and... god, I hope that the OS current status is as the last 10 days of stability...

I don't know what crap left "Dead Space" on the system (on user config, to be exact), but be aware of it :S When I was installing it I though that I should make a registry backup :/, but, what harm could come from a game? Never happened something like this. Damn it!
JH2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:09 pm

Check if theres a Xinput1_3.dll and some of the XP X3Daudio files installed/replaced in your system root directory.Had similar mouse behaviour with Risen Demo before.

Rollup is a pain and i don't trust it at all.Did you installed the update rollup 1 v2 which got released 3 month later?

BR
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:17 pm

No, all is ok but a good tip.

Next time I'll try to re-run the bat to register dlls.

But I think that the dlls (any library, indeed) aren't registered under current_user, and that is the way it got fixed... :-?

Rollup is a pain and i don't trust it at all.Did you installed the update rollup 1 v2 which got released 3 month later?

I know, I don't trust it either, but I'm just testing and it looks more stable now, with the company of the updated microcode. I have the v2.
Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86(lang).exe
JH2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:17 pm

Well, looks that the combination of the Microcode update and the Rollup ended with the randomness of the BSODs and a little of the frequency of them.

Now (forgetting Kerio ones, which are one each 2 months or so), I'm having BSODs localized on HIDCLASS!HidpIrpMajorClose routine. One, two each week. But, even if the Rollup is not helping on this, as with the microcode looks that it was the only one left, looks that helps to decrease the amount of BSODs.

Testing if removing the gamepad from game devices, as even disconnected is on the Devices Manager as a HID device, stop crashes.

I'm feeling I'm near of, if not getting rid of all crashes, reduce them to the minimal expression.
JH2k

PostPosted by BlackWingCat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:53 am

Hi.

I think this problem only comes from CPU over heat, not related with micro code update.
Because Microsoft update.sys does not need and not load if your BIOS includes microcode fix.

Did you apply following registry fix ?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835730/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919521/

It occurs when you apply windows 2000 SP4 security rollup package1 v2 and you use HTT or Dual Core cpu .
BlackWingCat

PostPosted by JH2k » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:39 am

BlackWingCat wrote:Hi.
[...]
Because Microsoft update.sys does not need and not load if your BIOS includes microcode fix.

That's the thing. The BIOS microcode is quite old and Asrock didn't update anymore. I requested it and they didn't reply. Well, they replied me, but their reply was "no, no, the motherboard supports your processor"... until now, that the current situation give me the reason.

Believe me that after install your update.sys I stopped having several random BSODs, from ntsokrnl, win32k.sys, memory corruptioms, virtual memory and hardware (no process) to what I have now, localized all to the one I told in the last message.

Before you reply, no, I tested the memory more than anyone on the internet saying it has used Memtest or any other tool. My memory is perfectly. It's a relation between the motherboard and the processor. You can read a brief in my other message on this thread

BlackWingCat wrote:Did you apply following registry fix ?

I already have hal.dll versions over the hotfix one by the rollup, indeed. (Internal name halmacpi.dll)

BlackWingCat wrote:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919521/

It occurs when you apply windows 2000 SP4 security rollup package1 v2 and you use HTT or Dual Core cpu .

BlackWingCat wrote:I think this problem only comes from CPU over heat, not related with micro code update.

I know, it's not the first time I use the rollup. I installed and uninstalled several times across the years while I was using this motherboard trying to fix with the updates inside it.

It's the first thing I did the first time I tried the rollup. My CPU, even playing in summer has a temperature, as much, of 52-55ºC. So I run to find the fix almost instantly.
JH2k

PostPosted by BlackWingCat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:08 am

JH2k wrote:
BlackWingCat wrote:Did you apply following registry fix ?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919521/

I think this problem only comes from CPU over heat, not related with micro code update.
already have hal.dll versions over the hotfix one by the rollup, indeed. (Internal name halmacpi.dll)

I know, it's not the first time I use the rollup. I installed and uninstalled several times across the years while I was using this motherboard trying to fix with the updates inside it.

It's wrong.
The hot fix can't resolve this problem.
It raises by SP4 Rollup.
If you want resolve CPU Heating problem, you must create reg file and apply it.
My mother board which has'nt applied the registry fix broke down just 14 monthes. :(

JH2k wrote:Believe me that after install your update.sys I stopped having several random BSODs, from ntsokrnl, win32k.sys, memory corruptioms, virtual memory and hardware (no process) to what I have now, localized all to the one I told in the last message.

if BSoD cause from update.sys, Recover your system since you delete update.sys or overwrite win2000 native one.

CPU has native micro code and use it, if there is no patch.
At first CPU loaded from BIOS to NV-RAM(CPU volatile memory), if it find same cpu id micro code.
Windows loads Update.sys and overwrite CPU NV-RAM, if exists update.sys and find same cpuid.

Of course If you tell me your CPU ID, I can research it.
BlackWingCat

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:06 am

BlackWingCat wrote:[The hot fix can't resolve this problem.
It raises by SP4 Rollup.
If you want resolve CPU Heating problem, you must create reg file and apply it.
My mother board which has'nt applied the registry fix broke down just 14 monthes. :(

What kind of reg file/registry fix?

greetings
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by BlackWingCat » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:57 am

OldBoy2k wrote:What kind of reg file/registry fix?

greetings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919521/en
Microsoft KB wrote: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\HAL
3. On the Edit menu, point to New , and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type 14140000FFFFFFFF, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click 14140000FFFFFFFF, and then click Modify.
6. Type 00000010 in the Value data box, click Hexadecimal, and then click OK.

Effective after reboot.
*Caution: Standby and hibernate make Cancel this effect, so I use RMClock HLT function on my note PC.
BlackWingCat

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 am

OK.Thanks.

Update:
Edit the registry Add a DWORD value named 14140000FFFFFFFF that has a value of 00000010 to the following registry setting:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\HAL

Only this registry entry alone fixes the problem.The /usepmtimer + the registry fix don't work together.

Hmm never installed the update rollup because of various problems.Always tweaked the installer :P Anything else important to know about the update rollup v2 (some other hotfixes)?!Can we have your registry fix to share it on the site?

Important questions:
Do you know which particulary KB hotfix from the update rollup v2 is responsible for these temperature problems?Some new programs require rollup to be installed on Win2k.If we could identify and track down this problematic KB fix we could maybe uninstall it again.

kind regards
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by BlackWingCat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:22 am

OldBoy2k wrote:Can we have your registry fix to share it on the site?
Important questions:
Do you know which particulary KB hotfix from the update rollup v2 is responsible for these temperature problems? Some new programs require rollup to be installed on Win2k.If we could identify and track down this problematic KB fix we could maybe uninstall it again.

Of course, Applying this registry fix is general in Japan, many individual tunes up registries include it.
and there is another way, use HLT Function in CpuIdle or RightMarkCPUID.
I use Rightmark cpu id with sexe(Executable Loader on Service)

Correctly, This Problem comes from hal.dll (halmacpi.dll).
I asked microsoft support, he replayed "Sorry, this problem has never fixed, there is no hotfix."
I have not tested and search CPU Heat problem version yet .

I think that is bad using old version because Previous version also has many problems.

SP4 5.0.2195.6691
KB823748 5.0.2195.6801
KB822624 5.0.2195.6866
KB835730 5.0.2195.6988
SRP1-v2 5.0.2195.7006
BlackWingCat

PostPosted by BlackWingCat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:41 am

JH2k wrote:Blackwing, don't take me wrong: have you read any of the letters my other message was made with? Have you read the massage I pointed you of this same thread too? Have you read the full thread?

I know all you are telling me with your last reply ;) Really, maybe my words in the Photoshop thread make you think I'm really a dumb guy without any knowledge on computers and how all works. I'm not the master, but I'm not a newbie at all ;)

I know my english sucks and as I get old it gets worst, but I think I explained myself enough to be understood. I think...

The wrong point I said is only CPU Heating problem, I thinked that you didn't say about manual registry fix but HAL hotfix 5.0.2195.7006.
Sorry, the thread fully I read is this. There are any thread I haven't read yet, cause of spent many time read in English.
Perhaps I may be able to understand with My weak English.

Fundamentally I reply to thread which I read.
If there is no my reply , I've never read it or, i have read half-way yet.
BlackWingCat

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:22 am

Understand.So what do you recommend?
a) installing update rollup 1 v2 and installing KB919521 autoinstall
b) installing update rollup 1 v2 and installing KB919521 adding/changing the registry entries manually

greets
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:41 am

OldBoy2k wrote:Understand.So what do you recommend?
a) installing update rollup 1 v2 and installing KB919521 autoinstall
b) installing update rollup 1 v2 and installing KB919521 adding/changing the registry entries manually

greets

First of all, I don't recommend install it. Only if you think you really need it, as me. As you said before, continue without trusting it.

After this, the option B.

I attach to this thread a reg file to make it easier.

List of fixes: KB900345
JH2k

Next

Return to Windows 2000 Software