World of Warcraft - Cata-4.0 patch

Having trouble playing a game, post here

World of Warcraft - Cata-4.0 patch

PostPosted by Chuw » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi,
recently i was running into problems as Blizzard no longer supports win2k at all.

The error message ... >>"SetFileValidData" in "KERNEL32.dll" not found<< error, i was able to fix with your API -wrap, but now I am running into another error.

Entry "RegisterRawInputDevices" in "USER32.dll" not found

Read in the "Readme.txt" of OldCigarette's something about this, that it should take care of the problem, but for me it doesnt.
I dont think that I made a mistake while using OC, but as I am not really an expert in this stuff, besides some html-programing ...
... maybe I did a mistake nevertheless :-)

Cheers

P.S. Sorry for incomplete error-messages, but as I am running a german client,
the way I extracted the IMO needed information, might be the better way
Chuw

Re: World of Warcraft - Cata-4.0 patch

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi Chuw,

welcome to the Win2kgaming forum.In order to investigate more issues with this patch i need to look at the Dependency Walker dwi log.You can find the guide how to profile the game in my signature (-> error detection and profiling with Dependency Walker (DWI Logs)).I'd like to take a look at it first.Please follow part1 and part2 of this guide and post the download link to the World of Warcraft main game executable DWI-log.

Note: just let it Dependency Walker profile until the User32.dll error message appears.Then terminate/stop profiling and save the log (*.dwi).

Then fix the "RegisterRawInputDevices" error by adding the renamed Windows 2000 User32.dll (-> User32_ORG.dll) and also add the OCW User32.dll to the binaries directory.And please repeat the profiling procedure and also upload this second DWI log.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by Chuw » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:03 am

Hey ... cheers for the fast answer

So now I will try to help you ... no, better help me ... with what you asked for:

Download Link in Forum code (for use in phpBB, vBulletin, etc):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/x6se1s
(the part 1.dwi file I additionally uploaded here: Clicky)

Following instructions of part 2, the result I uploded here: Clicky)

Following your posted: Then fix the "RegisterRawInputDevices" error by adding the renamed Windows 2000 User32.dll (-> User32_ORG.dll) and also add the OCW User32.dll to the binaries directory.And please repeat the profiling procedure and also upload this second DWI log ... is a bit beyond me, partly as I aswell ran the program of your japaneese friend/competitor somehow.

Thanks for your fast answer - please tell me what to do next - and better handle myself as beeing an idiot :p

Cheers
Chuw

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:05 am

Missing Exports:
Kernel32.dll - SetFileValidData
User32.dll - RegisterRawInputDevices

Thanks for the files but somehow they don't contain the expected informations.Anyhow, i don't want to confuse you to much so i'll give you a quick reference and fix info:

1) first off its important that you read about the wrapper installation and usage:

in german:
Anleitung: Express Installation des OldCigarette Wrapper

in english:
Quick-Installguide OldCigarette's 2000 XP API Wrapper

2) it seems you used the KDW Kernel32.dll which is required for the Kernel exports Kernel32.dll - SetFileValidData since OCW Kernel does not cover it but you need the OldCigarettes Wrapper to fix the User32.dll API exports (so you can add the OCW Wrapper User32.dll to the binaries directory with the renamed system User32_ORG.dll).

The binaries directory of WoW should contain the following fix-files:
Kernel32.dll <- KDW Kernel
Kernel2k.dll <- renamed Windows 2000 Kernel
User32.dll <- OCW User
User32_ORG.dll <- renamed Windows 2000 User

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by Chuw » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:53 am

Hi,
after beeing away for a week (work), I started to work on my problem again.
So here some updates, including mistakes I made.

First:
I actually seem to have not wraped my kernel32-file into the game folder, but instead into the WINNT-system directory with KDW - FIXED !
Second:
The reason why I still got the User32.dll error was actually pretty simple.
Although the game .exe is in the \World of Worcraft - directory, but the patch-exe is stored in a subdirectory: \TEMP
After adding the required 4 files into this directory too, I got (so far) no further errors.

This might be helpfull if someone else is reading this.

Will come back to you if I run into another problem; let's hope not :wink:

Cheers for your time and help, so long
Chuw
Chuw

PostPosted by Chuw » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:12 am

Hi,
i ran into another problem; not sure if you can help there.

So far everything is working fine, besides that each time I exit WoW, the program locks up.
This wouldnt be all dramatic, if all gathered ingame stuff (creatures, items, etc), wouldnt be written into the /cache-directory during the process of quitting WoW.
The result is, that after each new start, I have to wait for quite some time - especially for items - untill everything is re-loaded from the servers into my client.

Anything I can run to explore what is causing the lock-up ?

Cheers

P.S.: If i just open WoW, I can exit it without a lock-up, but as soon as I was loged in once, it locks-up
Chuw

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:15 am

Hi,

you have the wrapper ini installed (check my WoW fix post)?

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by Chuw » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi,
how do I "install" that .ini ?

Downloaded it, but got no clue what to do with this file / where to put it in.
Chuw

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:22 pm

You can find the wrapper ini guide in the Wrapper,Tools & Info's section (click my signature).

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by Chuw » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:10 pm

All i could find was:

>>b) another possible solution is to copy the game disk/setup files to the hard drive and use the version faking XP function of the wrapper.ini and wrapper Kernel: Info: win2k_xp_kernel32.ini.Place the wrapper.ini together with the Wrapper Kernel and renamed system Kernel32_ORG.dll next to the setup files.<<

So I put that win2k_xp_kernel32.ini file:
Code: Select all
[win2k_xp_user32]
UseDirectInput=1

into the bin-directory of WoW, but the game still locks up on exit.
Chuw

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:52 pm

I would recommend you to contact BlackWingCat by email because the KDW Kernel is used and SetFileValidData most likely is causing this with a not finished cache-writing routine.Will discuss it with OldCigarette so we can get this API correctly implemented in the next OCW update.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

Return to Troubleshooting