Virtual Machine & Win2K

Windows 2000 fixes and solutions for apps

Virtual Machine & Win2K

PostPosted by justjohnny » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 am

I wanted to create a thread dedicated to Virtual Machines running Windows 2000. I'd like to post some guides how to setup a virtual machine running Windows 2000 initially on Windows XP and then on Win2K using Microsoft tools like Virtual Server, Virtual PC as well as non Microsoft solutions like VMware, VirtualBox, etc.

The uses for virtual machines are many, personally I'd like to use it to test out installing software before doing it to my working live win2k system.

As a side-note and as another project idea, Win2K is missing a system restore feature like WinXP. System restore essentially makes a backup of the Windows registry at a point in time. I have seen software whichs allows backing up the registry for Win2K. A tutorial should be written up so that we can "roll back" to a working copy after a dodgy install(software or driver related).
justjohnny

Re: Virtual Machine & Win2K

PostPosted by charlieb000 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:48 am

you know, i did want to do that too :)
i was trying virtual box but i havnt started wrapping yet.
the sound may actually work now that there is the 2K X3d

as for system restore, vista (or was it win7?) actually makes backups of your files and you can access them under "previous versions" which is handy...
charlieb000

Re: Virtual Machine & Win2K

PostPosted by JH2k » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:55 am

justjohnny wrote:As a side-note and as another project idea, Win2K is missing a system restore feature like WinXP. System restore essentially makes a backup of the Windows registry at a point in time. I have seen software whichs allows backing up the registry for Win2K. A tutorial should be written up so that we can "roll back" to a working copy after a dodgy install(software or driver related).

Sorry, what?!?!?! Are you kidding?

Man, maybe you should say that IS XP which haven't a decent registry backup, if you don't use a third party tool, otherwise, you need to make a full restore point or a quite confusing backup.

With Windows 2000 it's the easiest way, as it was with Windows NT 4.0.

Just go to Start > Programs > Accesories > System Tools > Backup copies.

You should see now the backup tool for Windows 2000. Choose the third option, yes, that with the diskette and hammer icon, to make an emergency rescue disk. You don't need to have any diskette inside your floppy device, or even have a floppy device (but in this case you'll need the Virtual Floppy Drive utility), just check to make a registry copy and accept. You'll find the registry backup at the repair folder in the system folder. Rename the new RegBack folder to whatever, because the next backup will overwrite the RegBack folder content.

As a side note, you have to consider one thing: ntuser.dat and usrclass.dat backups are, of course, only from the current user from you are backing up. For others users just go to each user folder (documents and settings\user) and save a copy for each ntuser.dat and usrclass.dat on those folders.

P.S.: More information

A tool to access data inside registry hive files (system, software, security, sam, ntuser.dat usrclass.dat, etc) and extract desired data: Registry File Viewer (as its creator dropped from his own site, a link to a downloads page for the latest 3.3 version available)
JH2k

Return to Backporting Applications