Call of Duty: Black Ops

Having trouble playing a game, post here

Call of Duty: Black Ops

PostPosted by Hogroth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:38 pm

Heya, I've been trying to get CoD: Black Ops to run on 2000 the last 2 days.

Here's the deal:

1. Copied KERNEL32.dll and ADVAPI32.dll files from wrapper to Black Ops directory -> Solves initial errors
2. The game now requires a file called d3dx9_43.dll, which is from the latest DirectX redist. Found this one file and added it. -> Game runs

Now comes the problem. The launch movie has sound, but the main menu and game don't.
When running Black Ops on a dualboot XP install, I noticed there was also no sound. People on the internet recommended running the DirectX setup included with the game. This solves the problem on XP. (The setup does not run on 2000 however: "DXSETUP.exe is not a valid Win32 application." error.)

I copied all .dll files that this setup placed into the XP system32 into my 2000 system32 folder. Yet the sound still doesn't work. Also tried placing these files into the Black Ops folder; to no avail.

Any ideas?
Hogroth

Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi,

welcome to win2kgaming forum, i'd like to take a look but i need you to do the following:
a) remove ALL non-game files (non setup-installed libraries) you added
b) upload the profiled Dependency Walker dwis from the game executables (see my signature how to use Dependency Walker)
c) remove the header Minor Subsystem Version with PE Tools if you run into problems opening the executables with Dependency Walker ("not a valid 32bit application" error)

I know you got the game running already but to post a fix for this game we need to start all over.Thankyou.

I copied all .dll files that this setup placed into the XP system32 into my 2000 system32 folder. Yet the sound still doesn't work. Also tried placing these files into the Black Ops folder; to no avail.

Just a recommendation:You shouldnt do that without checking each file with Dependency Walker about missing exports!

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by Hogroth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:44 pm

Dependency Walker dwi: http://www.sendspace.com/file/5h41i6

edit: I just tried using a work-around to run the DXSETUP.exe that fixes the problem on XP, but it does not fix the problem on 2000, it seems.
Hogroth

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Okay, again a XP file mess in someone's Win2k system32 root directory ^^

Missing Exports:
Kernel32.dll - GetModuleHandleExA
XINPUT1_3.DLL
(MSS32.DLL)

a) delete c:\winnt\system32\APPHELP.DLL
Code: Select all
c:\winnt\system32\

b) delete all XP Xinputxxx.dll files in
c:\winnt\system32\

c) download the x3daudio sound driver:
click: download Win2k X3Daudio driver
install it as described and copy Xinput1_3.dll to your binaries directory
d:\program files\call of duty - black ops\

d) for Kernel32.dll you will need the wrapper pack:
click here to download Wrapper pack
and copy it together with the renamed Win2k system Kernel32_ORG.dll to the binaries game directory.
d:\program files\call of duty - black ops\

Then please profile the game (follow guide steps 1 + 2) and upload it again.Last time you did not proceed profiling with step.2.

Thanks

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

Return to Troubleshooting