Windows Port of FreeBSDs open source firewall ipfw with traf

Windows 2000 fixes and solutions for apps

Windows Port of FreeBSDs open source firewall ipfw with traf

PostPosted by der.einstein » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi Win2k Fans,
there is a great windows port of the powerful FreeBSD firewall ipfw: http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/dummynet/. However, the build only seems to work with WinXP, also the author himself claims it should run under Win2k aswell. It seems to install fine, but the binary for the service "ipfw.sys" points to missing function in ndis.sys, which are present in the WinXP veriosn and also in the one included in ReactOS (open source project). The userland exe "ipfw.exe" seems to work fine, but as the service does not get started it is useless.
I hope you can help me here, because we really need a good firewall for Win2k and this definitly would be one.

Thank you so far!
der.einstein

Re: Windows Port of FreeBSDs open source firewall ipfw with

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Hello der.einstein,

welcome to win2kgaming forum.Please open "ipfw.sys" and "ipfw.exe" in dependency walker.See my signature for the link.Then upload/attach the dwi so i can take a look.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by der.einstein » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:30 pm

Ok, seems I got an old version of dependency walker so I updated it. DWI files are attached to this post (they are plain DWI, just remove the .zip extension).

Besides this I tried to compile the ipfw.sys myself (source code at the sited url), it goes as far as linking everything together. Sadly one needs WDk (formerly DDK) to link it (cl.exe). So I tried to install it, only to find out it won't install on Win2k, so I used PETools to get rid of the "no win32 application" stuff. Then I ran is as admin and the MS install program said I changed the CheckSum / Signature => I was nnot able to install it.

Nevertheless I hope you get something usefull out of this DWIs.
der.einstein

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi,

can you please "profile" the ipfw.exe?See my guide (follow part1. and part.2) how to do that with dependency walker.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by der.einstein » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Ok I have rechecked both ipfw.exe and ipfw.sys. As you will see, there is no problem with the ipfw.exe but with ipfw.sys (which is the binary needed for the kernel module). Both DWIs are contained in one zip-file.
der.einstein

PostPosted by OldCigarette » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:54 am

Yeah this driver will not work on win2k because of these functions in ndis.sys
Code: Select all
NdisCancelSendPackets
NdisGetPoolFromPacket
NdisIMGetCurrentPacketStack
NdisIMNotifyPnPEvent

You'll need a v5.1 ndis.sys but I just checked one and it introduces more requirements on ntoskrnl so this solution will not work.

My wrapper has no driver wrappers, nor does KDW afaik. So I think there is no way for this to work.
OldCigarette

Return to Backporting Applications