Info: solving sound and video problems in games

The wrapper, tools, and info you need to get games working

Info: solving sound and video problems in games

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:32 am

Hi,

in this guide i will show you some ways to manually toggle hardware compatibility mode for multimedia in games:

Changing Hardware acceleration speed in DirectX:
Sometimes DirectX games show strange behaviour with ingame sound and sound in videos (skipping sounds,stuttering). Often these problems can be solved within the DxDiag Tool.This guide now explains what you can do to change the hardware acceleration speed in DirectX applications.

1) on your desktop click START -> run...
2) type "dxdiag" and press ENTER to launch the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
3) go to SOUND setting and move the Hardware Sound Acceleration Level slider to the left.
(often Basic Acceleration solves most problems)
4) click the EXIT button.
5) if the problems still exist, try different slider settings until the sound problems are solved.

Changing Video Hardware acceleration speed in DirectDraw/Direct3D:
Sometimes also DirectDraw and Direct3D video problems can appear when working with multimedia media applications.Often these problems can be solved by changing the video hardware acceleration of DirectDraw/Direct3D.

1) right click on the desktop.
2) choose PROPERTIES.
3) click the SETTING TAB.
4) click the ADVANCED SETTING
5) click the TROUBLESHOOT TAB
6) move the slider to the left and then press APPLY
7) close the task
8 ) if the problems still exist, try different slider settings until the video problems are solved.
(this setting also sometimes helps solving ingame video problems)

Changing the override DirectDraws Refresh rate in DirectX:
Sometimes games show strange behaviour when started.You can hear sound and the intro is loaded but no menu is visible.This is often caused by the override DirectDraws Refresh rate.Also these problems can be solved within the DxDiag Tool.This guide now explains what you can do to change the override DirectDraws Refresh rate.

1) on your desktop click START -> run...
2) type "dxdiag" and press ENTER to launch the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
3) go to MORE HELP setting and click the OVERRIDE button.
4) enter a OVERRIDE VALUE von 60 or try 70.. to fix the Refresh Rate (Hz).
5) click the OK button and then EXIT button to leave the DxDiag Tool

Info: This is also very useful to solve problems when playing games on beamers.It happend to me several times that no menu was visible.After fixing the refresh rate to 60 the problems where gone.Some beamers don't like games with a dynamic refresh rate of more then 80Hz.This setting fixes it to a fixed refresh rate (Hz)

Installing OpenAL:
Its recommended to install & update OpenAL.The OpenAL (Open Audio Library) is a freeware cross-platform audio API released by Creative Technology.Even when a game doesn't actually needs it, a lot games install a old version.All info how to install this and where to download the driver can be found here: Tools & Info: OpenAl for Windows

Installing Miles Soundsystem:
Miles Sound System is a freeware cross-platform sound software system (mss32.dll library) for some computer games as an alternative,low performance hungry driver for audio chipsets.In former times used by DOS games a lot.You can find all infos here: Tools & Info: Miles Sound System

Updating Binkw.32 library:
It turns out that RAD Game Tools Bink API library Binkw32.dll also needs to be updated to the latest version to fix stuttering and sound problems in games which use this library.One very good version to fix most sound problems is Binkw32.dll v1.9n: Tools & Info: Download Binkw32.dll v1.9n

Crash because of wrong frequency:
Sometimes crashs and sound problems are based on high frequencies like 96khz at 24bit.Reducing to 48khz can sometimes solve problems.
OldBoy2k

Re: Info: solving sound and video problems in games

PostPosted by JH2k » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:17 pm

I'd also add that sound chipsets (instead PCI cards) cause lot of glitches.
JH2k

Re: Info: solving sound and video problems in games

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Also OldCigarette mentioned earlier in the Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare Retail & Demo thread:
OldCigarette wrote:I was having a problem with the bink videos being choppy and stuttering. I added /usepmtimer to my boot.ini and it seems to have fixed it! So my boot string looks like this now
Code: Select all
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Seems this is a problem with AMD cpus
http://www.radgametools.com/binkfaq.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895980
OldBoy2k

Return to Tools & Info