Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War

Here you will find installation guides and fixes for WinXP games

Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War

PostPosted by RedAdder » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi, I just wanted to report that it is possible to get Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War working on win2k almost perfectly.
The game is currently freely available because it received sponsoring by the US Army.
I said almost perfectly, because the connection to the US Army ad server is the only thing that I didn't manage to get working - as a result the game dies, but at a point where it isn't fatal for continuing campaigns.

How did I do this? Unfortunately, I don't recall all the details, but here are some hints:
I unpacked the installer, and then unpacked the CAB files with 7zip and unpacked the installer exe ;-) and that way I got all files needed. I recall that the dfh directory also was needed, which I noticed once I got the df-engine running or before.

Well to fix dll errors, I used both the Win2k Wrapper pack to fix USER32.DLL, and also used blackwingcats fcwin2k.exe to convert a dll named DFRTIEngineStub.dll for win2k. I think getting the dll from http://www.dll-files.org or elsewhere failed.

I think that's it, and to complete the install, I created a link which does what RunMe.cmd does with the icon provided.
Last edited by RedAdder on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RedAdder

Re: Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Hey,thanks for the fix and the uploaded DWI files.I have cropped the last posts because the game is confirmed to work with your description.Thanks again for your support.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:39 pm

The crash during installation seems to be related a corrupt cab archive.There was a updated version availible on Filefront but its gone now and i couldn't find this working version.He's a workaround for the installation:

Missing Exports:
(DFRTIENGINE.DLL)
USER32.DLL - GetRawInputData

Fix:
1) download Dependency Walker and the game
2) extract midway_riseandfall.exe,open riseandfall_setup_sw_Filefront.exe in Dependency Walker and install it using the profile mode.
3) for User32.dll you will need the wrapper pack:
click here to download Wrapper pack
copy together with the renamed Win2k system User32_ORG.DLL to the binaries game directory.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by RedAdder » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:43 pm

Yes, installing that way in dependency walker works.

I tried because I figured that maybe it would install a new license, because right now i get the message:
An internet connection is required to enjoy free, ad-supported game play.
Please connect your computer to the internet and try again.

I found out that it does two calls to gethostbyname, maybe the ad server is down?
exit struct hostent FAR * gethostbyname( const char FAR * name )

Unfortunately, the winsocktracer ws2_32.dll doesn't log the arguments..
RedAdder

Return to Backporting Games