My Nvidia driver compatibility test

Talk about Windows 2000 Software here

My Nvidia driver compatibility test

PostPosted by JH2k » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:51 pm

I had to test some version of Nvidia drivers cause I lost hardware acceleration with Flash Player 11 and above as they request in their requirements for, at least, a driver version from January 2009.

Right now, I'm using 169.21. As you know from some 17x.x the clone mode and the overlay acceleration was broken.

Well this have been my digs, adding them to this other thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=119

182.50: intalls, no classic control panel
186.18: intalls, no classic control panel
190.38: intalls, no classic control panel
190.62: intalls, no classic control panel
191.07: intalls, no classic control panel
195.62: unable to install (it doesn't register control panel files and fails)
196.21: unable to install (it doesn't register control panel files and fails)
197.13: installs, but corrupts registry file hive SYSTEM if you remove service or startup executables
197.45: installs, but corrupts registry file hive SYSTEM if you remove service or startup executables
257.21: installs, but TV-out doesn't work correctly, can't set PAL (switches back to NTSC-M) output and players fail to create hardware overlay (extraordinary gain on game and Theora codec performance if you don't need TV-out)
258.96: installs, but TV-out doesn't work correctly, can't set PAL (switches back to NTSC-M) output and players fail to create hardware overlay (extraordinary gain on game and Theora codec performance if you don't need TV-out)
260.99: from this and over this version, installer fails to run (request newer OSs) and you can't manually install it as doesn't recognize driver inf files (I didn't dig more on this inf files)

EDIT: corrected NTSC, I didn't type correctly.
Last edited by JH2k on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
JH2k

Re: My Nvidia driver compatibility test

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi,

great post and testing JH2k!You can install recent nvidia forceware driver v266.58 released by BlackWingCat:
nVIDIA Graphic Driver 266.58 WHQL for Windows 2000

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:55 am

Good to know, but if the problem with TV-out and hardware acceleration (impossible to create the overlays) in clone mode persists... it's not very helpful for me, but, as I said, is good to know that BlackWingCat made possible to install with newer versions.

At this moment I'm tired of testing, maybe when someday I have a new problem, for example with a new game, or decide to enable hardware acceleration for flash, or whatever, I'll try. Now, if someone has installed it already, and wants to test the clone mode TV-out, would be great if shares thoughts about the functionality.

Right now drivers over 257 are good, but only if you don't use TV-out :(

It was quite frustrating. When you found a great driver after several installs and uninstalls and, oh, no, it doesn't work with TV-out! :roll:

Oh, by the way, I haven't said but my card, now, is a 7600GT.
JH2k

PostPosted by JH2k » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Gladly, today I found that the latest version now, this is 11.7.700.169, doesn't need newer drivers to have hardware acceleration enabled.

I don't know if this limitation was removed from previous versions, I just decided today to give a try to see if things had changed, and I had this suprise.

The bad news are that, with the same sample 720p HD flash video, 11.x flash version tops the CPU (P4 2.8Ghz HT) to about 90% and with 10.3, just 40-50%.

Let's hope they fix it soon or later.

Anyway, that gives us another excuse to the idea that new software (including OSs) are really bad optimized for the same function. Long life to old software.
JH2k

Return to Windows 2000 Software