SSE2 fix for NVIDIA users

The wrapper, tools, and info you need to get games working

SSE2 fix for NVIDIA users

PostPosted by justjohnny » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:29 am

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showt ... hp?t=85817
nvtt.dll with no SSE2 (unofficial Athlon XP fix)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello.

I have an old gaming PC (Athlon 64) that runs borderlands fine. But when I went to play with my friend on their Athlon XP, I quickly ran into the SSE2 issue. I figured a patch might roll around, but I got impatient.

So, like any bored programmer does, I took the matter into my own hands.

PROBLEM
Immediate crash upon starting the game executable on non-SSE2 processors. General protection fault in nvtt.dll followed by multiple errors.

DETAILED
nvtt.dll is compiled with SSE2 instructions. The Athlon XP processor does not have SSE2 support. This was added with the Athlon 64 processor. What is nvtt? nvidia texture tools, a library for programmers to handle textures.

SOLUTION
Thankfully, nvidia has the source code for their tools for free! I downloaded the source and compiled it with

x86 target architecture
no enhanced instruction sets

in visual studio 2008.

DOWNLOAD
MAIN DOWNLOAD NVTT.DLL W/O SSE2 MediaFire.com

MIRROR1 DOWNLOAD NVTT.DLL W/O SSE2 FileDropper.com

MIRROR2 DOWNLOAD NVTT.DLL W/O SSE2 FileFront.com

BACKUP NVTT.DLL BEFORE OVERWRITING

Extract the .dlls to C:\Program Files\2K Games\Gearbox Software\Borderlands\Binaries\ or wherever your install directory is. Steam users? No idea where.

WARNING
I have only tested this on an AMD ATHLON XP 2600+ running 32 bit Windows XP! Always back up files before overwriting!

WHATS WITH THE OTHER DLLS?
For whatever reason my .dll came out significantly smaller than the included one which leads me to believe that these other required ones may have been rolled into it. The other dlls are for png image handling and compression. If you get an error about a missing dll, then just google it and place it into the binaries folder.

Next post.
Re: nvtt.dll with no SSE2 (unofficial Athlon XP fix)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I DONT TRUST YOU, HOW DO I PATCH IT MYSELF?

1. Download nvtt source v 2.0.4
2. Extract
3. open nvidia-texture-tools\project\vc8\nvtt.sln in visual studio 8+
4. Remove __SSE2__ from preprocessor definitions in project properties (core, nvtt, image, and squish projects)
5. Remove "Enable Enhanced Instruction Set" in project properties (core, nvtt, image, and squish projects)
6. Set build target to win32 (I used no cuda configuration)
7. Build
8. Enjoy new dll
justjohnny

Return to Tools & Info