Batch files not working after installing wrapper

Having trouble playing a game, post here

Batch files not working after installing wrapper

PostPosted by algeeba » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Good morning/afternoon everybody.

After re-installing w2k sp4 to use my dual core I proceeded to install the w2k-wxp dll wrapper to start playing fallout 3. I have batch files to make backing up my save games easier to do as well to start my ras dialup and after applying the wrapper the batch files stopped working. I restored my backup image to before the wrapper and everything worked correctly. Again, after installing the wrapper, the batch files stopped working.

Any ideas as what could be wrong?

P.S. On my previous setup with a single core everything was working correctly.
algeeba

Re: Batch files not working after installing wrapper

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Check admin rights and try some of these suggestions:
WatchDirectory Forum: run batch file not working
Windows Batch File - Move File not working in Task Scheduler only

Also make sure the file paths are set correctly!

Take a look at the XP Batch File Association Fix:
dougknox: Batch File Association Fix

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by algeeba » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:01 pm

O.k., I tried all your suggestions and it's still a no go. Everytime I reinstall the wrapper my batch files stop working. I execute the batch files manually so nothing has changed in them. They work perfectly without the wrapper.

In one of your links, OldBoy, I did as suggested to get a log file. After the wrapper is installed the log file says: "xcopy' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" or "cmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" depending on what batch file I use. If I go through the cmd prompt that works.

Then I use the "uninstall wrapper bat" and it comes out with: "regedit is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" and "cscript is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". I assume it does not completely undo it's work. I restart the computer but the batch files don't work so I need to go to a previous restore.

The XP batch file association fix did not work either. I looked inside the wrapper install batch, didn't see anything weird :) but then again I am not an expert in this.

Do you have any other ideas OldBoy?

Thanks.
algeeba

PostPosted by algeeba » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:45 am

Thanks OldBoy2k, that did it.

My environment variable after the wrapper were correct but as per one of the suggestions: "Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment and make sure Path is a Reg_Expand_SZ type". Mine was set to type Reg_SZ and at this time I am not sure if it was like that before installing the wrapper or the wrapper changed it to that. At this time I'm a little lazy to put the restore back and check.

I didn't know how to change it to type Reg_Expand_SZ so I used the other suggestion to use "fixpath.exe". Fixpath said that the type was wrong, it changed it to the correct type, I rebooted and Voila!

Thanks again OldBoy and Happy New Year.
algeeba

PostPosted by OldCigarette » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:02 pm

The INSTALL_WRAPPER.bat file will modify the path variable. I will try messing around with the install file and see if I can recreate the issue, thanks for letting us know :)
OldCigarette

Return to Troubleshooting