Sonic Adventure DX (Steam)

Having trouble playing a game, post here

Re: Sonic Adventure DX (Steam)

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:19 pm

There were a few users that couldn't get the game to work though (looks like they would get only a black screen), no workaround has been found to fix that issue, as far as I know... :\

Source: STEAM forum: Bought sonic adventure, now how do i run it?

Let me look at the DWI log again, pls.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by justjohnny » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:26 pm

justjohnny

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:36 pm

Try User,Shell and Kernel Wrapper.You don't need to upload the logs.Just check 'em and see if you get it working.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by justjohnny » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:23 pm

OldBoy2k wrote:Hi,

please post another profiled DW log of both executables.Thanks!

Edit:
found a save game fix for STEAM:
1st create a folder named "SEGA" in your documents folder, then create a folder named "SONIC ADVENTURE DX" in the just created SEGA folder. After that, copy the file config.ini that is located in "programs\steam\steamapps\common\sonic adventure dx" into the "documents\SEGA\SONIC ADVENTURE DX" folder.
By doing this you'll be able to save. Also you can now change the settings of the game by manually editing the config.ini file with a text editing software (wordpad, notepad, notepad++, ...), for example, by changing the line FULL_SCREEN=0 to FULL_SCREEN=1 you'll have the game in fullscreen, or by changing the line RESOLUTION=4 to RESOLUTION=3 the game will be in 1024x768 instead of 1280x720.

Source: STEAM forum: Bought sonic adventure, now how do i run it?

BR
OldBoy2k

Thanks, I can confirm that this is the case. I was using File Monitor and saw this when running Sonic Adventure DX.exe:

However what is strange is that I never saw config.exe attempt to access this file once. Even when copying config.ini to:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\SEGA\Sonic Adventure DX
config.exe never modifies this file in either directory(as above and C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sonic adventure dx).

Even when using the command prompt and trying commands like this:
config.exe config.ini
config.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\SEGA\Sonic Adventure DX\config.ini"
the config.ini is never modified.
justjohnny

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:58 am

Hi there,

i'm sorry for your trouble.It seems this problem does exist on some machines and no solution got found so far.Maybe some ini settings mentioned here could be helpful:
Sonic Adventure Dx wine

Might be possible that i still have the retail game somewhere in my shelf and if so i will give it a try later today and test it.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi,

i tested the retail game on my maschine and i'm having the same problem.Tried different solutions but did not got it working :evil:

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by justjohnny » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:56 am

I also tried Sonic Adventure DX on a WinXP machine. It also had an ATI card which then also got the black screen.

I removed the ATI card and installed the Intel drivers for the integrated video card. The display adapter is listed as:
Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family

Now when I run Sonic Adventure DX I get this error:

Any idea why it is crashing for the Intel grahpics card?

DW files:
Sonic Adventure DX_WinXP.dwi (1.91MB)
Sonic Adventure DX_WinXP_profiled.dwi (2.40MB)
justjohnny

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi,

there's a second chance exeption in Kernel:
Second chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "c:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.DLL" at address 0x7C800047 by thread 3.

it would have been helpful to look at the exact error information provided in the message box.Some internal graphic chips are not equiped with all chip instructions.That could be one reason.There are a lot of games that do not work for example on Laptop graphic cards.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting