Birth of the Empires 6.1

Here you will find installation guides and fixes for WinXP games

Birth of the Empires 6.1

PostPosted by RedAdder » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:33 pm

I managed to run BotE 6.1 from http://download.chip.eu/de/Birth-of-the ... 81498.html on windows 2000
I placed kernel32.dll (and ofc KERNEL32_ORG.DLL) from the wrapper pack with it,
and
APPHELP.DLL version 5.1.2600.1106
That's it.

In dependency walker I saw that DWMAPI.DLL was red, but it turns out that DWMAPI.DLL is not needed (what would it be doing anyway?)
This path also led me to try to use a different msvcrt.dll, because it causes a warning about a missing _except_handler4_common in msvcrt.dll.
I also removed the DWMAPI.DLL from my system32 directory, since I guess I was cavalier and dropped it in there.
I also toyed with fc2kwin, but I now restored the backup of the exe.
RedAdder

Re: Birth of the Empires 6.1

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:48 pm

RedAdder wrote:I managed to run BotE 6.1 from http://download.chip.eu/de/Birth-of-the ... 81498.html on windows 2000
I placed kernel32.dll (and ofc KERNEL32_ORG.DLL) from the wrapper pack with it,
and
APPHELP.DLL version 5.1.2600.1106
That's it.

In dependency walker I saw that DWMAPI.DLL was red, but it turns out that DWMAPI.DLL is not needed (what would it be doing anyway?)
This path also led me to try to use a different msvcrt.dll, because it causes a warning about a missing _except_handler4_common in msvcrt.dll.
I also removed the DWMAPI.DLL from my system32 directory, since I guess I was cavalier and dropped it in there.
I also toyed with fc2kwin, but I now restored the backup of the exe.

Hi, it would be nice to know the missing Exports. Next time when you get the chance, please remove the Wrapper kernel and open the main game exe in Dependency Walker and look into the Kernel table which exports are missing and post them. I will then sum up the missing exports. Delete APPHELP.DLL and DWMAPI.DLL.

FYI: APPHELP.DLL is not required, ready my fix guide which explains briefly about its function. The DWMAPI.DLL is Windows Vista/W7 library. Please don't mess with Vista/W7 files, this really could get your system in trouble when placed in your system32 root directory!

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by RedAdder » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:00 am

I don't feel like posting a fat dwi file, but this screenshot shows all of whats left in red, except for MPR.DLL, which only has WNetRestoreConnectionA in red.

I'll try to remind myself to create a dw profile before I do big changes in the future.
RedAdder

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:07 pm

Okay, thanks for the information. Deleted the screenshot.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

Return to Backporting Games