Looking to build a new PC for Win2k.

Talk about playing games

Looking to build a new PC for Win2k.

PostPosted by w2k3 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:01 am

I just can't see myself using Windows XP or even 7 when the GUI and the mouse accel is so botched up without any way to fully fix. I have perfect twitch reflexes with FPS games with Win2k mouse accel and I can't replicate it in any other OS if it were to save my life. I was looking to build a new PC for Win2k and since many here have expertise in getting things working if someone could point me in the right direction as to the most modern parts I could buy that could be tweakable to run Win2k. I know to get many cores and 32GB ram, I would need 2k Server etc. Video cards, anybody get radeon 7XXX working? Throw out your best ideas. Thanks.
w2k3

Re: Looking to build a new PC for Win2k.

PostPosted by justjohnny » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:37 pm

I can't remember where I read it now, but there was a list somewhere of all the versions of Win2K and how many CPUs(cores) simultaneously that version would support.

I might have read it on BetaArchive.
justjohnny

PostPosted by w2k3 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:52 am

I've got the cores and such figured out, but in terms of other features on recent motherboards that may prevent me from using Win2k. Chipset/misc drivers? Bluescreen on startup maybe? Not sure. If anybody knows of anything that's on newegg (motherboard wise) that is verified to work that would solve the biggest prob.
w2k3

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:20 pm

Win2k supports regular Dual Cores. A while back BlackWingCat posted about a success running a Core XEON 3360 Quad Core on Windows 2000 Professional: Question about a Quad Core If you like to set up a Quad Core system i would recommended to reply in this thread or to contact him directly and also to open a thread @msfn.org. See Windows 2000 msfn forum links: BlackWingCat's KDW API Wrapper & Tools

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by w2k3 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks for the info, I got a hold of blackwingcat's thing to get Win2k to recognize 4 cores. My main concern now is other parts of the Motherboard that may not support Win2k such as maybe newer chipsets and such? I would hate to get a brand new board only for it to choke on me. If I had a newer board I could test it but unfortunately I don't.
w2k3

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi,

in the past BlackWingCat released plenty of drivers for all sorts of devices and graphic cards. It's best if you open a thread @msfn about a motherboard you are interested in to run Win2k on. There are lots of enthusiastic Win2k users around these forums to help. Some drivers still work, even though they are not mentioned and tested on Windows 2000 anymore. If you are familiar with Debugging tools or Dependency Walker you can check out most of the drivers beforehand. Just extract the driver package, load the driver.sys in Dependency Walker and check the missing exports. When the driver loads without problems, its mostly only modifying the driver inf (adding a Windows 2000 entry and necessary information) and you are set. From my experience and information a lot of Windows XP drivers (the driver itself NOT the extra tools and applications) work on Windows 2000 and modifying and adapting the inf isn't a dramatic act.

BR
OldBoy2k
OldBoy2k

PostPosted by justjohnny » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:24 am

Before you buy a motherboard check to see if it has all the win2k drivers first by going to the manufacturer's website and looking at the downloads page for the model you are interested in.

If you have the money I would recommend a server grade motherboard over a consumer one, besides better support and better quality components(meaning a longer working life) they tend to have better driver support.

Also I found the information regarding win2k and CPUs/cores(virtual and physical).
http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/cpu.html
I'm going to use Hyperthreading capable CPU's and I'm not sure if my OS can support this technology. Is there any information that can clarify this inquiry?
Yes please see the chart below for hyperthreading support.

Windows 2000 Version | Maximum Processor Limit
Windows 2000 Professional | 2
Windows 2000 Standard Server | 4
Windows 2000 Advanced Server | 8
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server | 32
justjohnny

Return to General Gaming