Game Tap - Grimm's Adventure's

Having trouble playing a game, post here

Game Tap - Grimm's Adventure's

PostPosted by Taurox » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:45 pm

OK I have a question for you guys.

I have Game-tap, it is nice for me in-between games. So far I have only had one problem playing games on gametap with win 2000. The series Sam & Max the second season series 2 started to not work. Then the remaining series after that. Because the game is listed as winxp only I am thinking they went that Games for windows route. They have a new series now called Grimm. This game also wouldnt work, but it isn't working for a bunch of people, however it also has the win XP req, and it is a New series. So again the games for windows route.

I was able this time to download the standalone game of Grimm, they are offering the first in series free to anyone to play. I tried starting it up and it requested "dbghelp.dll", then after that had an error regarding "Procedure entry point TraceMessage "advapi32.dll", I was able to dump both those into the game folder and it works fine. <I friggin love these tools btw you guys rock>

OK so my question is this.. well kinda two-fold.

A game that is created/programed and is requiring these two files to work. What does that mean exactly, are they just being lazy and not including something for win 2000 players to play the game, or are they adding things that request files that arent necessary to play but will make win 2000 not work? I mean is it lazy, or intentional... I really want to ask them that in a forum post, but would like to have a small clue of what i am talking about.. if thats possible.

And second, would it be possible to trick Game-taps games? I have tried to place some .dll bin files into gametaps folders but doesnt seem to do anything. Wondering if it isn't possible since the Gam-tap is mounting the games onto a virtual drive but..

Thanks
Taurox
Taurox

PostPosted by DosFreak » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:30 pm

It's always possible that it's intentional but more than likely not.

Game compaines want as many people as possible to play their games, not fewer.

But only within reason. Modern development tools/support by Microsoft/documentation for older OS's all eventually lose support since the newer OS is what everyone is using.

As for being lazy? If you consider the fact that they spend a ton of time designing the game/programming the game/supporting the game then laziness has nothing to do with it......or mabye it does. The fact of the matter is that they spent as much time as they need to on areas that actually mean something. Spending time making sure Windows 9x/Windows 2000 work is waaaaaay down on the list if at all.

If your going to ask the developers of a program why they don't support something it's best not to mention "laziness". That's a real easy way to piss someone off and get you a boot in the ass off of their forums. So don't do it.

I've never used GameTap, Will never use GameTap and won't even bother infecting my system with GameTap so I can't help you there. I'm not even sure how the games look like once you download them from GameTap (Do you download them?) If it's just like Steam then the games are downloaded and only the main executable is Steam infected. If so then it's possible to add the 2K to XP wrapper files to the game directory and get the game to work.
DosFreak

PostPosted by Taurox » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:56 pm

I would never insult someone with "lazy" or any other remark if I wanted to get something from them. Honey not vinegar.. But thanks for tip/reminder wouldnt want to make them peeved.

I just was trying to figure out if the cause was intentional "putting something in to break it" or "not putting something in". It just is weird how a lot of games which say win XP for requirements, and they work fine.. <if they had spent time making it win2000 compatible wouldnt they have said that on the box?> Then very few games don't work in win2k, but a lot are "Windows for games", and it seems like to fix them you just need one file or something <Not the wrappers I mean, just a little dorky file> . It just seems that these games are deliberately making it not work. But like I said, I don't really know the mechanics of programming.

As for how gametap does the games.. I am not sure if it's like the other program. Basically there is a folder for games, and in the games folder are a bunch of "000183950" folders and other such numbers. In those folders are obviously each games info with file extentions like, .VIX .Rif .dat .ix .clog .rgx and volume.md . I know it has something to do with mounting the games.. i am assuming it's a virtual drive mount but.. eh

Taurox
Taurox

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:17 am

Hi Taurox,welcome to the win2kgaming forum.Heres a link where you can find interesting backgrounds about this issue.

http://www.gamespot.com/users/slashy83/

and especially the passage: "Beautiful Addiction...a tale of light".The sentence "...it could be easily avoided..." says it all i think.
OldBoy2k

Re: Game Tap - Grimm's Adventure's

PostPosted by OldBoy2k » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi Taurox,

dunno if you're still around but when you read this,please supply the information about the mentioned problematic games for example which files are needed and the exact title of the games.Thankyou.
OldBoy2k

Re: Game Tap - Grimm's Adventure's

PostPosted by Arkan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:36 pm

I doubt he's still around but at least we have an existing fix for Sam & Max Season 2.
Arkan

Return to Troubleshooting